Renewed calls to make street more user-friendly for blind people

  • To: <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 19:48:49 -0400

The Argus, Sussex (UK)
Saturday, October 13, 2007

Renewed calls to make street more user-friendly for blind people

By Miles Godfrey

An MP has renewed his calls for a busy street to be made easier for blind
people to negotiate.

New Road, in the heart of Brighton's theatre district, is said to pose a major
hazard to those without sight.

Brighton Pavilion MP David Lepper has made further calls for work to be carried
out which will make it safer.

He told The Argus: "Something has to be done about it because it is causing
major problems at the moment."

Guide Dogs For The Blind agree with the MP and are lending their weight to the
campaign.

The charity believes "tactile strips" need to be laid along the road to give
guide dogs greater guidance.

A spokesman for the charity said: "This would go some way towards helping those
who are blind and partially sighted.

"The strips are relatively inexpensive but offer great benefits."

The calls follow the major redevelopment of New Road, which both Mr Lepper and
Guide Dogs for the Blind, believe has worsened the situation and made it harder
for blind people to negotiate.

The work saw new benches built, a new surface laid and new street furniture
such as bins installed.

Studies have been carried out by the charity both before and after the
redevelopment. Volunteers walked down the road without the aid of sight.

Those taking part in the tests after the redevelopment reported more problems
than those prior to the work being carried out.

Part of the problem, according to both the charity and Mr Lepper, is that cars
are allowed to travel part of the way down New Road.

This poses an extra danger to those without sight, they claim.

Both want Brighton and Hove City Council to carry out the work as soon as
possible. Mr Lepper has written to council staff to voice his concerns.

He said of the most recent negotiation tests: "I understand that all
participants in the exercise felt that the new street layout was worse than the
previous layout in terms of safety.

"There were comments that participants in the exercise who would usually go out
alone were afraid of using this area now."

He told the council: "I would welcome your more detailed explanation of the
changes which the council now intends to make."

Reporter Miles Godfrey experienced what it is like to walk down New Road
himself without the aid of sight by donning a blindfold.

Although he didn't have a walking stick, he still found it difficult to
negotiate the street.

A spokesman for Brighton and Hove City Council said: "Guide Dogs for the Blind
contacted us a long time ago on this and we're looking into their concerns.

"Clearly we want to make the street as safe as possible for people with visual
impairment."

Have you or a loved one struggled to negotiate New Road? Tell us below.

3:40pm Saturday 13th October 2007

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/localnews/display.var.1757277.0.renewed_calls_to_make_street_more_userfriendly_for_blind_people.php
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe: BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe" as subject

Moderator: BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.