RNC College's 81 homes plan in doubt

  • To: <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 22:27:16 -0400

BBC News, England (UK)
Thursday, October 25, 2007

RNC College's 81 homes plan in doubt

Last Updated: Thursday, 25 October 2007, 14:54 GMT 15:54 UK

A college's plans to build 81 homes to help pay for Olympic and Paralympic
training facilities have been recommended for refusal.

The Royal National College for the Blind in Hereford wanted to raise the number
of homes in the plan from 70 to 81 to pay for increasing costs.

Councillors on a Herefordshire planning sub-committee rejected the scheme.

The chief planning officer can now ratify the decision or refer it to another
committee.

A total of 89 people objected to the scheme. Their main concerns were increased
volume of traffic and impact on residents, the council said.

The original plan for 70 properties adjacent to the campus was approved in May.

The college, which is also staging the World Blind Football Championship in
2010, says it needs the extra money for the sports facilities and halls of
residence which must be ready by early 2009.

'Focal point'

Robert Astick, the college's fundraising director, said the 11 extra homes
would bring in around £800,000 needed for the development.

He said the centre would host the Paralympics games' Blind Football in 2012 and
it was hoped it would become the "home of disabled sport" in the country.

"The plans are going ahead, I mean we're the host nation, and we're confident a
solution can be found," he said.

He added that the sports and complementary therapy centre would be a "focal
point" for the community.

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The Royal National College for the Blind
http://www.rncb.ac.uk/
Herefordshire Council
http://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/7061839.stm
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe: BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe" as subject

Moderator: BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.