Premier Radio Show for disabled people to be hosted by blind presenter

  • To: <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 22:06:57 -0400

ASSIST News Service
Saturday, October 06, 2007

Premier Radio Show for disabled people to be hosted by blind presenter

By By Michael Ireland, Chief Correspondent

London's Premier Radio launches new show for disabled Christians

LONDON, ENGLAND (ANS) -- A new radio show aimed at Christians with disabilities
is to be launched by London's Premier Christian Radio in association with Torch
Trust.

Hosted by blind presenter Marilyn Baker, the new Insight program will be
broadcast Saturday nights at 9pm starting October 6.

"I'm very excited to be presenting this new program on behalf of Torch Trust
for the blind," Baker told Premier. "Insight is aimed at people who have
disabilities or people who are just interested and want to make a difference."

Broadcast on the eve of Disability Sunday (October 7), Insight's first program
will draw attention to this important event by talking to Paul Dicken, the
founder of Through the Roof and Disability Sunday.

"In Britain 9.5 million people are disabled -- that's more than 1 in 7. Few of
our church congregations reflect this, " commented Torch Trust's Chief
Executive, Dr. Gordon Temple. "Disability Sunday is an opportunity for churches
to raise awareness of the needs for disabled people and to celebrate the
contribution made by disabled people to the life of the church."

Insight is to be the first program on Premier Christian Radio aimed
specifically at listeners with disabilities, but the station has a long history
of connecting with disabled people and often receives letters of support from
the disabled community.

With Insight, Premier has designed a program that it is hoped will appeal to a
wide range of disabled Christians. "We want this to be your show," Baker tells
her audience during the first program. "We're going to hear stories of people's
faith and their struggles and achievements. We're going to try and address
topics that will interest you."

The show's team is also keen to receive feedback from their audience about the
content and format of the weekly program. You can listen online at:

www.premier.org.uk/player.cfm

The Torch Trust aims to overcome sight loss as a barrier to finding a personal
faith in Christ and to living a fulfilled Christian life. Torch promotes
Christian fellowship among blind and partially sighted people through local
Torch Fellowship Groups and by running holidays and events, and provides
Christian literature in formats they can read: audio, braille and giant print.
Torch resources include Bibles, daily Bible readings, Christian books and
magazines, calendars, and more.

For further information, photographs or to receive this press release in audio
or Braille format contact Grace Benson on grace.benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  or +44
(0)207 3161462

** Michael Ireland is an international British freelance journalist. A former
reporter with a London newspaper, Michael is the Chief Correspondent for ASSIST
News Service of Lake Forest, California. Michael immigrated to the United
States in 1982 and became a US citizen in September, 1995. He is married with
two children. Michael has also been a frequent contributor to UCB Europe, a
British Christian radio station. His weblog appears at: Michael's Wor(l)d BLOG

http://www.assistnews.net/Stories/2007/s07100058.htm
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe: BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe" as subject

Moderator: BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.