Natasha practises for cycle ride to Germany

  • To: <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 09:06:52 -0400

Yorkshire Post (UK)
Friday, October 26, 2007

Natasha practises for cycle ride to Germany

By Fiona Evans

A WOMAN is set to overcome disability to take part in a 500-mile charity cycle
ride.

Visually impaired Natasha Hudson, 32, of Bradford, has already completed a
static cycling marathon to help raise over £1,000.

Now she is set to get back in the saddle for a 500-mile cycling trip from
Bradford to its twin town of Hamm in Germany in aid of the charity Bradford
Disability Sport and Leisure..

Natasha, who last rode a bike when she was eight, is working with
Bradford-based cycling charity Crank It Up to master a bike once again. Last
March, along with personal trainer Francine Hoddy, she clocked up the cash by
riding 120 miles a day for three days on static bikes in a Bradford supermarket.

She said: "Three years ago I did something that has totally changed my life. I
wobbled through the door of Francine's We are Not a Gym.

"I started off on toning tables. I was so embarrassed with myself as the fat on
my body sagged over the edges of the machines. It was the most energetic thing
I had done in years.

"Now I'm five-and-a-half stones lighter and I have lost numerous inches from
all over my body. I have never been as fit in my life. I never dreamt that I
would cycle 360 miles on a static cycle.

"I used to be embarrassed about having a disability - but no more."

The ride is planned to take place next June and will cover 500 miles over eight
days.

Francine, who owns We are Not a Gym, Bradford's gentle exercise centre, said:
"Natasha is a wonderful character and a role model as someone who has turned
her life round through exercise and losing weight. She is fit and with plenty
of cycling practice there's no reason she won't be able to do the ride."

To sponsor Natasha call 01274 610404 or to join the challenge write to Barry
Thorne, organiser of the ride to Hamm, on 01274 437093.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/localnews/Disabled-Natasha-practises-for-cycle.3420376.jp
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe: BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe" as subject

Moderator: BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.