Hiking promoted for the disabled

  • To: <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:44:09 -0400

Taipei Times, Taiwan
Monday, October 29, 2007

Hiking promoted for the disabled

The wilderness is the spiritual home of human beings, and thus disabilities
should not obstruct one's ability to fully enjoy it, an ecologist said while
accompanying people with disabilities on a hiking trip last week.
To launch a campaign to promote hiking, the Forestry Bureau and the Taiwan
Environmental Information Association (TEIA) organized a hiking trip last
Monday and Tuesday and invited five mentally and physically challenged people
to come along.

"It's important for human beings to interact with nature, and we'd like to
encourage more people to do so," said Chien Shu-hui, a spokeswoman for the
association.

"We invited five mentally and physically challenged people on the trip and they
all had fun," Chien said.

"This shows that hiking is not just an activity for the experienced," Chien
said.

To enhance the experience, an ecologist, a photographer, a writer, an artist
and a historian also joined the trip.

The travelers began their two-day trek at Jiaobanshan Park at over 600m above
sea level.

"It's wonderful to be able to feel the freshness of the air, to see the scenery
with my own eyes, to watch the clouds forming and to touch the plants with my
own hands." Huang Shu-mei, a disabled woman

Jiaobanshan was once an important camphor production area during the Japanese
occupation, and thus is dotted with historical sites in addition to its natural
beauty. There, the participants were given history and ecology lessons.

"The house behind me is the camphor collection office constructed by the
Japanese during the occupation," said Wu Yuan-ho, a historian who specializes
in historic hiking trials, while pointing to a partially ruined wooden house
surrounded by camphor trees.

After a brief description of the local history, Wu Hai-shih, an ecologist,
taught Hsu Chia-liang and Huang Tsan-huang - both visually impaired - how to
identify a camphor tree without being able to see it.

"Pick a leaf, and smell if there's a camphor odor," Wu told the two. "And touch
the leaf carefully -- you'll feel three major veins on the leaf."

Afterwards, Wu instructed Hsu and Huang to hug the trunk.

"Smell it -- there should be a camphor odor on the trunk as well. Can you feel
that the trunk skin is thick and wrinkled?" Wu said.

Hsu and Huang both smiled.

The Lala Mountain trail at 1500m above sea level was the second stop on the
trip.

There, Huang Shu-mei, a woman with disability in one foot, walked on a mountain
trial for the first time.

"I've seen the [Lala Mountain] trail on TV, but never imagined I could actually
walk on it myself," Huang Shu-mei said.

"It's wonderful to be able to feel the freshness of the air, to see the scenery
with my own eyes, to watch the clouds forming and to touch the plants with my
own hands," Huang Shu-mei said.

To her surprise, Huang Shu-mei said that her disability did not actually
obstruct her from enjoying herself.

In addition, she has discovered a new hobby.

"I've never drawn before, but I've decided to sign up for drawing lessons at my
community college," she said.

Hsu Wei-pin, an artist that accompanied the travelers, had inspired her new
interest, Huang Shu-mei said.

While resting on the Lala Mountain trail, Huang Shu-mei took out a sketch book
and pen to draw the scenery. Hsu Wei-pin taught her many drawing skills.

Michael Fan, a swimmer with Down's Syndrome, also found new hobbies.

"I've never been a hiker, because I was simply not interested," Fan said. "But
after this trip, I think I'll go mountain hiking more often."

Luo Sang, a photographer, acted as a photography mentor for Fan during the
trip.

"Luo Sang is a funny guy. He told me funny stories and taught me how to take
good pictures," Fan said.

"The wilderness is the spiritual home of human beings -- all can seek spiritual
shelter in the wilderness, and be inspired by it," Wu said.

Chien said that she welcomed more people to join the TEIA's hiking events.
Anyone interested can find more information as well as recommend hiking trials
at trail.e-info.org.tw.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2007/10/29/2003385254
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe: BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe" as subject

Moderator: BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.