Guide dogs do 'Texas Four-Step'

  • To: <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 22:26:45 -0400

Plano Courier-Star, TX, USA
Saturday, October 20, 2007

Guide dogs do 'Texas Four-Step'

By Liz McGathey, Staff Writer

Sara Street is helping the blind see one dog at a time.

The Plano resident is a puppy raiser for Southeastern Guide Dogs as part of a
large group who supports the guide dog program. Now, Street is getting Plano
residents to give back to the group by organizing the "Texas Four-Step," a
celebration of family dogs beginning with registration at 8 a.m. Nov. 3 at Bob
Woodruff Park, North Pavilion. The event will include a fun walk around a lake,
dog demonstrations and information booths. All proceeds benefit Southeastern,
which, although each guide dog costs more than $40,000, provides dogs to the
blind and visually impaired free of charge.

Southeastern, a Florida-based organization, plays an active role in bringing
working dogs to Plano. There are many local puppy-raising families and an
active IMPACT program, which allows inmates at the women's prison in Fort Worth
raise puppies. Another, newer program, Paws for Patriots, provides guide dogs
for men and women injured in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Street's job is to raise newborn dogs bred for guide work in her home, work and
pretty much wherever she can possibly take them. The purpose is to get the dogs
acclimated at an early age to as many settings and situations as possible so
they know how to act when they are charged with being someone's eyes.

Her journey began when her grandmother suddenly went blind late in life.

"She and I were very close, and she loved dogs. Her blind group would have
luncheons and donate the money to the local guide dog school," she said.
Shortly after her grandmother's death, Street saw another puppy raiser and knew
she had found a way she could keep her grandmother's memory alive.

Once she found the only guide dog school that would allow single people to
raise dogs, she signed up, and - as fate would have it - Southwestern was the
school her grandmother so lovingly supported while she was living.

Raisers like Street are responsible for a strict set of rules to ensure each
puppy will be ready for training after they have spent a year to 18 months with
them. In addition to a loving home, Street teaches the puppies basic obedience
and commands such as left, right, stand and stay. They also learn when it's
time to work and time to play.

"When their coat is on, they're working and focused, when their coat is off
they can be very playful," she said. "And we socialize them to anything you can
think of - walk them across grates, take them on trains. I've taken them to the
symphony, the movies, restaurants ..."

"It is a lot of fun, but it is a lot of work," she said. "You have to kind of
rearrange what you're thinking about for the day."

Even after having raised three puppies, Street said she still gets
broken-hearted when she has to take them to the school.

"You know it's not for keeps, but that doesn't stop it from breaking your
heart," she said. "When we drop off the dogs, everyone is crying, (and) then we
get a new puppy. Then we all go to an old-fashioned ice cream parlor and have
ice cream."

When she went to Florida to give her second puppy back, Street got to see the
fruit of her efforts upon reuniting with her first charge, Sydney.

"It was so wonderful to see my first dog and see her working - to see what a
difference she was making in her person's life," she said.

Street said participants in the Texas Four-Step are welcome to bring their
vaccinated dogs but one per person is preferred and, for safety reasons, dogs
should stay on their leash and extendable leashes should stay locked on a short
distance.

Vendors and demonstrations at the Nov. 3 event include the Frisbee dogs in the
Dallas Dog and Disc Club, Canine CPR conducted by the Red Cross, a low-cost
microchip clinic, pet massage, couture dog clothing and canine dental.

Registration is $25 but will be waived for those who raise at least that
amount. Prizes for top fundraisers include pet photography, trinkets, pet
lodging and goods from Pet Supplies Plus.

For anyone interested in puppy raising, there will be Southeastern Guide Dogs
and service dog information booths.

"An ideal candidate would be someone who loves dogs and understands the
importance of obedience. They need to be able to follow the rules and
understand that the puppy needs boundaries," Street said.

For information about the Texas Four-Step or South-eastern Guide Dogs, visit

www.TexasFourStep.com

http://www.planostar.com/articles/2007/10/23/plano_star-courier/news/000000000006news.txt
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe: BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe" as subject

Moderator: BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.