CityNews Helps Woman Going Blind Turn Her Dream Into Reality: Part Two

  • To: <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 21:49:33 -0400

CityNews.ca, Canada
Saturday, October 06, 2007

CityNews Helps Woman Going Blind Turn Her Dream Into Reality: Part Two

By CityNews.ca Staff

Earlier this week, we introduced you to a woman by the name of Alexandra Arden
who asked CityNews to help fulfill one of her dreams.

Arden is a reverend who suffers from three serious eye diseases: macular
degeneration, cataracts and glaucoma. The conditions have been gradually
stealing her sight and she now faces the possibility of going blind. Knowing
very well that one morning she could wake up no longer able to see, she wanted
to experience what it's like to be up in the sky one last time.

After hearing from our viewer, we got in touch with Niagara Helicopters who
generously donated a chopper ride to make Arden's dream come true.

Ruedy Hafen from Niagara Helicopters said, "I like to give back to other people
who are less fortunate. Because I look myself and I have my ten fingers, my ten
toes, my hair and my eyes. But when you look around not everybody is that
fortunate."

Flying above the falls only able to see colours and some shapes, Arden got to
experience what it's like to "feel the clouds" as she described it. And just
before the pilot began his final descent, she took a brief moment to shut her
eyes and "meditate" on the whole experience.

"If I go blind then I'll have the memory of what it's like to be up there.
There are certain things I need memories of and that is one of them," she said.

"I want people to know that there's a way to find meaning and value in their
life. Somebody out there has to hear this that needs it."

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_15492.aspx
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe: BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe" as subject

Moderator: BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.