Beating challenges: ZT student doesn't stop for disability

  • To: <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 20:07:36 -0400

Chillicothe Gazette, OH, USA
Monday, October 01, 2007

Beating challenges: ZT student doesn't stop for disability

By JONA ISON, Gazette Staff Writer

Molly Clairemont's kindergarten teacher once said she was either going to make
it or she wasn't.

While it's something that can be said about most any child, for Molly making it
- which she is - has taken a bit more effort. Although legally blind, she is
completing her senior year at Zane Trace High School, having always been in
class with her typically developed classmates. And she's coming out on top not
only in grades (she's currently ranked first in her class), but also in
character.

Molly is one of 10 seniors selected from 63 applicants in the state for a
Student of Integrity Scholarship from the Better Business Bureau.

"I'm very proud of that ... It's really a great honor, although I put a lot of
work into that essay," she said with a laugh.

Her winning essay was to describe character, something she did through her
family, which consistes of her mother, who is a nurse and cares for people, her
father, who stands up for his opinions, and her grandfather, who has "such
wisdom and (has) learned from all of his experience in life."

"I think she deserves it," her mother, Sandy Lopez, said. "She's just a bright,
wonderful person inside and out, and I'm lucky to have known her."

"I'm lucky to have known you, too," Molly echoed with a smile.

As a child, Molly said it was really important to her mother that she get a
"normal" education. When Molly entered first grade, she was diagnosed with
congenital nystagmus. Susan described it as Molly's brain lacking the
connection to make her eyes stop moving and focus.

Over the years, Susan said the school has worked with them to ensure Molly had
the appropriate learning materials and specialized education plans - such as
more time on tests because it takes her longer to read them due to her vision -
to prosper at the school.

An aide also always has assisted Molly in taking notes form the board or
enlarging papers so Molly can read them herself. Also, the educational
organization Pilasco Ross has always been able to help provide equipment needed
at the school for Molly, Susan said.

"The school is just super about what she needs ... When we see a need, they
address it right away," Susan said.

Last summer, Molly volunteered at Berger Hospital in Circleville, and every
Sunday she works with the Sunday school at Grace Fellowship. A few years ago,
she also acted in a few plays with the Chillicothe Civic Theatre.

At school, she was the editor-in-chief for the school newspaper, "The
Trailblazer," and she recently joined the quiz bowl team. Although still
volunteering with the newspaper this year, it is Molly's science teachers that
she mentors.

"I'm probably the only person who, at 14, found the string theory interesting,"
Molly said.

Although not set on which college she'll be attending yet, she's thinking about
Denison University. She still wants to visit some others before making a final
decision, and is planning to eventually get a master's degree in astrophysics
and become a professor while working on a doctorate.

"It's a great thing scholarships are offered because she really needs them to
go to school to get the education she wants," Susan said.

The scholarship from the BBB is for $1,000 and will be presented to Molly and
other recipients Oct. 25. There were 207 public and non-public high schools
within the BBB's 21-county area invited to participate.

Although headed for college-level teaching, Molly also has another dream - to
be like Neil deGrasse Tyson, a host on NOVA.

"I'd really like to be on TV, be on NOVA," Molly said.

(Ison can be reached at 772-9367 or via e-mail at jison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Originally published October 1, 2007

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071001/NEWS01/710010312/1002
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe: BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe" as subject

Moderator: BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.