[blindinvestors] Income Lists And My Platform

  • From: "Rick Thomas" <ofbgmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindinvestors@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 19:01:39 -0400

Posted to the Blind-Finance and Blind-Investors list since members have not
been moved yet:
Hi Bill et Al:
For the past umpteen years I was using QuantumOnline but have become
disgruntled with fighting that site to get downloadable data.
Also, since it required quite a bit of manual gymnastics it would not do if
I ever want to permit usage of my platform by other, non technical types.
Currently I am in the process of finding sources for various stock and fixed
income data.
The current Websites are all lacking, inaccessible or otherwise not
satisfactory for my purposes.
To that end I have started looking at the Edgar Filings again, ouch!
This time I am looking at the s-1 series, registration statements.
The only thing I can envision doing so far is to read them manually as they
are posted to the Securities and Exchange Commission and create a form to
enter the data manually.
For Preferreds and perhaps trusts this doesn't look too bad - not allot of
monthly activity.
I have to find out other filings though like what forms are filed either
with the SEC ofr FINRA when an issue is going to be called, any listing
status changes like delisted or changing of exchanges like NASDAQ to NYSE
etc...
There are other forms as well where securities may be issued most being in
the S-1 to S-4 range I think.
These include Preferreds and common stock for sure and some annuities and I
am not sure about bonds or various third party trusts and CDO(s).
I have looked at the available automated xbrl systems but only 2 are of
interest and one of them I used a couple of years ago and it was not up to
the standards I am looking for and the other is not a .net implementation.
Therefore I am giving thought to starting manually reading through filings
and manually adding new common stock issuances or other income issues to my
database where not available otherwise.
Besides, this way I get the information ahead of the general financial media
publications like AP and Reuters etc me thinks and may, just may, give me an
edge if I do some trading.
What do you think?
Do you know of someplace where they offer a list of things like preferred
stocks, trusts and bonds in a list I can parse out and add new members to my
db?
BondsOnline and a couple of others don't offer a nice list I can use and the
Wall Street Journal has a mess when it comes to how the report the ticker
symbols - cant make a standardized extraction algorithm.
QuantumOnline was great but it takes forever to load the lists, the site
manager never answers e-mails and his e-mail version of his logon password
recovery is broken.
It is also dificult, doable since I have done it, to pull down the list and
parse it.
I would rather have a nice list of income issues but couldn't find them on
the NASDAQ or NYSE either.
Any ideas before I start looking into what is going to be necessary to
implement to manually manage EDGAR Filings and perhaps FINRA filings?
I may have missed something out there - a whole lot of reading, clicking and
trying to make heads or tails out of some large and sometimes confusing
sites, sigh.
Rick USA