(no subject)

  • From: Bear in SFO <BearSFO@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindhamoperators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 18:57:48 -0700

Hello all

I apologize if you get this long email more than once because I sent it to multiple email lists.

I guess I am ready to have a more "permanent" setup at home and have some questions I would like to ask before going out and procuring all the equipment, afterall it is quite an huge investment...

Objective:
- To have 1 or more base/mobile radio so I can use all mode on all bands (70cm, 1.25M, 2M, 6M, 10M and below)

Given/assumptions:
I already have a 2M/440 J-pole and I know I will be getting the Kenwood TM-V71A to be used for 2M/440. Other than that everything is still open to suggestion (radio, antenna, etc.).

Initial questions:
1 - Is it possible to use that J-pole for multiple radios?
2 - Can I also use that J-pole for 1.25M or do I need another one?
3 - Are there any radio that include 1.25M or do I have to get one "stand-alone"? If so are there any accessible models?

Suggestion on radios:
here are a few models I am considering, could anyone comment on their accessibility/useability, and if one is better than the others? Easy to use? Voice output good and easy to understand, and give enough info to operate the radio? Anything I should pay attention about? Certain features to look for? Caveats?

-  Kenwood TS-570S
-  Kenwood TS-2000 (what are the difference between the different models?)
-  ICOM IC-706MKIIG
-  ICOM IC-7000
- any suggestion on other models?

Again the goal is to cover all modes on as many bands as possible, and I am OK with multiple radios but not too many so they become confusing and cumbersome.

Questions on antenna:
I have a small backyard with no trees. The only thing about the backyard is that my house is on a slope so it is higher than the house in the back. Someone suggested a windom (off-center fed dipole?) and I think that is a good idea considering how much space I have.

4 - I noticed there are a lot of companies that make Windoms, is one better than the others as far as how it is built (material, design, etc.), post-sales support and performance?
5 - Can I use the windom for 6M or would I need yet another antenna?
6 - Can I make my own easily?

Suggestion on power:
Any suggestion on how much power supply I should get? I have also heard about power poles and rig runners but have no idea how they are set up or if one is better than the other. Other people also mentioned EmComm standard and batteries; so confusing...

Again I apologize for the long email and the slew of questions and I appreciate all your help and suggestion. If I have left out anything please do not hesitate to let me know. Thank you very much.

--David