[blindeudora] FYI: Compact mailboxes

  • From: Lennie <lennie_r@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindeudora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 13:43:56 -0400

Hi,

I just learned something new after I have been using Eudora for 12 years. Perhaps, some of you may already know this, but in case you don't, I would like to share this with you.

As I have written in the past, I always run into trouble when I copy my mailboxes from my XP desktop computer and paste them into my Eudora on my windows7 laptop computer.

The problem is that I always end up with emails in various mailboxes that have been deleted from my desktop and removed from the trash can before I copy them. I would have to spend a lot of time on my laptop deleting those emails all over again. This is time consuming! I would have the same problem when I copy the mailboxes and paste them back on my Desktop computer.

I was totally frustrated with this procedure and I could not get any satisfaction or answers no matter how I tried. Deleting the MBX files first on my laptop did not help any.

The solution: After I did some searching, I found the answer. When you delete any emails and dump them into the trash can and remove them from the trash can, all those emails that have been deleted are still in their original mailboxes, but they have been tagged for deletion. You won't see them and there is a way to recover them if need to be.

So, by going to special and arrow to compact mailboxes and press enter on it, all those emails that have been tagged for deletion are erased and disk space is free up.

Now when I copy my mailboxes after compacting them, I no longer get those emails on my laptop that were previously deleted on my desktop.

I hope that this makes sense to the list. I don't know if many on the list are in the habit of copying mailboxes from one computer to another like I do, but this way I will have an exact copy on both computers.

Just thought that you might like to know. Any comments will be welcome.

Take care.

Lennie

List web page: //www.freelists.org/webpage/blindeudora