[blindeudora] Re: Eudora Crashed

  • From: Christopher Maule-Oatway <c.maule@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindeudora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:57:16 +0100

Hello Tom,

I can't help with where the missing e-mails have gone from your inbox, but here are two suggestions that should make Eudora work better for you.

First, it's a really good idea to compact mailboxes as often as possible. When you delete a message from a mailbox, the space in the mailbox cannot be re-used until the mailbox is compacted. It sounds like your inbox had reached some sort of size limit, so Eudora was compacting it for you! Before quitting Eudora, I make a habit of emptying the trash mailbox and then compacting the mailboxes.

Compacting mailboxes is easy. Go into the Special menu where you will find the Compact Mailboxes option. Just press the Enter key and Eudora will start compacting. This might take some time!

The second suggestion is: keep as little as possible in the inbox, outbox, junk and trash, in fact, it's best to keep nothing in these mailboxes. When you start Eudora, these mailboxes are loaded into memory, so the more you have in them, the more memory they will be using.

I hope this is useful.

Cheers,

Christopher

At 12:09 19/08/2007 -0500, you wrote:
Hi,
For the past few days at night when I turn of Eudora, I get a message that Eudora is compacting mailbox or somesuch, cant exactly remember. It usually locks up until I have to hit the end program key cause it isn't responding. Today when I turned my puter on, it kept rebooting and I couldn't sort out what was going on. Eventually it straightened out after I left it alone and took a shower. I conjecture that Eudora was trying to rebuild my inbox, because when the machine finally stopped rebooting, and I opened Eudora, I got a message that told me my inbox had been rebuilt and it appears to have lost about two hundred messages. Not wanting to risk those remaining in box messages , I moved them to a different folder I named movedinbox. Now I am left wondering just what happened. Did Eudora keep rebooting my machine, or was it some other electronic snafu of a transient nature or did the messed up in box and its rebuilding cause this instability or what. I guess at this point I am just posting this to see if anyone can shed some light on what may have happened. It might be time to retire this present copy of Eudora and start over fresh with a new install as this current copy is definitely bloated.
Thanks to anyone who has any ideas or comments.
Tom

List web page: //www.freelists.org/webpage/blindeudora