[blindcooks] Re: The Perfect Chicken Schnitzel

  • From: Penny Golden <goldpen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 22:43:45 -0500

Well, it could have been made with chicken when I had it in Israel, but my memory says, no; it was beef or veal, and boy, was it ever good; and the recipe you have here for the chicken sounds so very good. Once I get over the tooth surgery and any restrictions, I'm going to make this for myself. Thank you, Valerie.

On 3/18/2015 10:01 PM, Valerie wrote:

Hello to all, Penny, I believe chicken schnitzel is the main type that the Israeli people enjoy? Often the flour has the addition of paprika or cumin giving a different flavour. I have been with someone at a café who enjoyed what they called a proper Israeli schnitzel, it came with lots of lemon and a lemony salad of some sort, but you might know more about that as to if this is correct?

The recipe I have follows. The only different things I do is to use sourdough breadcrumbs. Sometimes for a change I mix some mustard and yoghurt together and marinate the chicken for several hours, three is usually enough I also sometimes vary the basic recipe by adding parmesan cheese to the crumb mix, then it's chicken Parma, well that is what it is called here. At some cafes, after the schnitzel is cooked, a little sauce Is spooned on the top of the schnitzel and then cheese to top. The schnitzel is then flash grilled for a brief time.

Usually you can find five or six different varieties of sauces on offer at cafes.

   It will be great to hear if anyone on list has a recipe they like.

Nice to hear you enjoy Schnitzel too Jacob.

Cheers. Valerie

Chicken Schnitzel This was sent to me, I am sure it's originally from a cooking website, but, unfortunately ,can' t remember the name. However, it is a fairly general recipe. Valerie

Ingredients (serves 4)

.4 portions of chicken breast, pounded flat

.2 eggs

.Salt and freshly ground black pepper

.½ cup flour

.1 cup breadcrumbs (preferably fresh)

.Oil for frying

1.Beat the eggs in a bowl with 2 tablespoons water and season with salt and pepper.

2.Prepare the flour and breadcrumbs in separate dishes, suitable for dipping and breading. Dip the pieces of chicken in flour, shake off the excess flour, dip in the beaten egg and finally dip in the breadcrumbs and press together firmly to ensure good adhesion and form a uniform coating of breadcrumbs.

3.Heat the oil to a medium-high temperature in a heavy frying pan. The level of the oil should be one half the thickness of the schnitzels.

4.Fry the schnitzels 2-3 minutes on each side, make sure the chicken is done and crumbing golden. Remove from the oil and set on paper towels. Serve promptly with lemon wedges and a nice sharp tasting salad and your favourite sauce.