[blindcooks] Taste Of Home: Black Bean Chip And Dip Burgers

  • From: "Susan Tabor" <souljourner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 21:53:37 -0500

Hi, list!

I think this recipe looks really good and am really looking forward to
making these.  I thought I’d share; hope you enjoy it!—Susan

Black Bean Chip & Dip Burgers

I tried to create a healthy veggie burger that wasn't dry and crumbly or
really boring. These fit the bill because even my grandkids prefer them over
hamburgers. They taste like chips and dip in a burger! —KT Rehrig,
Allentown, Pennsylvania

8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Grill: 10 min.

Ingredients

*       2/3 cup water
*       1/3 cup quinoa, rinsed
*       1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
*       1 jar (16 ounces) salsa, divided
*       1 cup crushed baked tortilla chip scoops
*       2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
*       8 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
*       8 lettuce leaves
*       8 slices tomato
*       8 slices red onion

Directions

*       In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat;
*       simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove
*       from heat; fluff with a fork.
*
*       In a large bowl, mash black beans. Add 1 cup salsa, tortilla chips,
*       taco seasoning and cooked quinoa; mix well. Shape into eight
*       1/4-in.-thick patties.
*
*       Grill, covered, over medium heat 5-6 minutes on each side or until
*       heated through. Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato, onion and
*       remaining salsa. Yield: 8 servings.
*

To bake patties: Preheat oven to 350°. Place patties on a baking sheet
coated with cooking spray. Bake 25-30 minutes or until heated through,
turning once.

© Taste of Home 2014

2 of 2

Black Bean Chip & Dip Burgers (continued)

Nutritional Facts: 1 burger equals 247 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated
fat), 0 cholesterol, 700 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 8 g
protein.

Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red
wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.

© Taste of Home 201

PNG image

JPEG image

PNG image