[blindcooks] Recipe - Apple Ginger Chutney with Green Tomatoes

  • From: "Rob" <captinlogic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 19:18:18 -0500

Today I made a chutney that is probably going to take its place in the top of
my favorite condiments list. As the subject indicates, this is apple ginger
chutney with green tomatoes.

Now to be honest about it, I never found myself liking green tomatoes, despite
the old popular movie. So, I decided to make a substitute. In any case, my
local store didn't have any green tomatoes--possibly because it's too early for
them just yet.

I used tomatillos instead. For those who don't know, tomatillos are tomato like
fruit that come in a husk which has to be shucked off first. They then have to
be boiled a few minutes before use to soften them up a little. They are popular
in Mexican cuisine, as an ingredient in salsas and chili sauces. They have a
kind of tart flavor that lends a wonderful richness to anything you decide to
put them in. Tomatillos are not green, unripened tomatoes (although they feel
somewhat similar, once out of the husk), but I think they made an admirable
substitute in this particular application.

Here is the recipe as I made it. Remember that if you do decide to use
tomatillos as I did, boil them for about five minutes first.

Tart Apple Ginger Chutney with Green Tomatoes

1 teaspoon black peppercorns, dry-roasted and coarsely ground

1 tablespoon peanut oil

1 tablespoon coriander seeds

6 to 8 quarter-size slices of peeled fresh ginger

2 fresh green chile peppers, such as serrano, stemmed

2 large tart green apples, such as Granny Smith or pippin, cored and coarsely
chopped

2 small green tomatoes or tomatillos, coarsely chopped

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Fresh cilantro sprigs

1. Prepare the peppercorns. Then heat the oil in a small saucepan over
medium-high heat and add the coriander seeds; they should sizzle upon contact
with the hot oil. Quickly add the remaining ingredients and cook, stirring,
about 5 minutes.

2. Transfer to a food processor or a blender and process to make a coarse
puree. Transfer to a bowl, garnish with cilantro sprigs, and serve. This
chutney stays fresh in the refrigerator about 10 days, and in the freezer about
6 months.

Source: 1000 Indian Recipes, Neelam Batra