[blindcooks] Re: RECIPE: Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice

  • From: "Rob Hudson" <captinlogic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 10:11:09 -0600

The salt soaking method is used to tenderize the bean skins and allow for
easier cooking.

I would've tossed in a couple of bay leaves and maybe a little liquid smoke.
Other than that, this sounds pretty good. I think ham would've worked better
than sausage here too. Maybe some of that weird Louisiana ham I can't remember
the name of right now, but that's pretty hard to find.

  From: "Slow Cooker Revolution" p. 75
  Serves 6
  Cooking Time: 9 to 11 hours on low or 5 to 7 hours on high

  Ingredients:
     2 large onions, minced
     1 celery rib, minced
     6 garlic cloves, minced
     1 tablespoon vegetable oil
     2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
     2 teaspoons sweet paprika
     1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
     4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus more as needed
     3 cups water
     1 pound dried red kidney beans (2 1/2 cups), picked over, salt-soaked (see
p. 35) and rinsed
     1 pound andouille sausage, sliced 1/2-inch thick
     2 bay leaves
     2 green bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and chopped medium
     1/2 cup long-grain white rice
     3 scallions, sliced thin

  1.  Microwave onions, celery, garlic, oil, thyme, paprika, and cayenne pepper
in bowl, stirring occasionally, until softened; transfer to slow cooker.

  2.  Stir broth, water, beans, sausage, and bay leaves into slow cooker.
Cover and cook until beans are tender, 9 to 11 hours on low or 5 to 7 hours on
high.

  3.  Let stew settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large
spoon.  Discard bay leaves.

  4.  Stir peppers and rice into stew, cover, and cook on high until tender, 30
to 40 minutes.  (aAdjust stew consistency with additional hot broth, as
needed.)  Season Season to taste with salt, pepper, and vinegar to taste.
Sprinkle with the scallions and serve.

  OVERNIGHT SALT-SOAKING METHOD:
  Pick through and rinse the beans.  For every pound of beans, combine 2
tablespoons salt with 4 quarts cold water.  Combine the beans and salt water in
a large container and let the beans soak for at least 8 hours or up to 24
hours.  Drain the beans, discarding the soaking liquid, and rinse well before
cooking.

  QUICK SALT-SOAKING METHOD:
  Pick through and rinse the beans.  For every pound of beans, dissolve 3
tablespoons salt in 2 quarts boiling water.  Combine the beans and hot salt
water in a large pot and let the beans soak at room temperature for 1 hour.
Drain the beans, discarding the soaking liquid, and rinse well before cooking.

  PERSONAL NOTES:  First off, I didn't even realize I was suppose to soak the
beans in salt water before cooking until I sat down just now to type this out.
I imagine if I  had, the resulting stew would have been even better than it
was.  As it turned out, the stew was good, but even when I seasoned it at the
end just before serving, I thought it lacked something, but couldn't quite put
my finger on it.  So, I strongly suggest soaking the beans in the salt water as
recommended here.  The package of andouille sausage I had was only 12 ounces.
In the future, when I make this again, if that size package is all I have
available, I'll use two packages as both Emily and I thought it needed a little
more meat in it.  I didn't have either fresh or dried thyme, so I used dried
oregano instead, and it still turned out well.  Aside from that, it is
definitely a recipe I plan to make over and over again.