[blindcooks] Re: More Dry Bean Questions

  • From: "Jonathan Rawlings" <twosocks76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 22:27:15 -0700

Dani:
Before I get into this, let me just say that if you want a recipe for baked beans done in the slow cooker, I think I have two different recipes I could share, both from "America's Test Kitchen" cookbooks. I can't remember right now, but I do seem to recall that they wanted you to soak the beans in a large quantity of lightly-salted water before using them in your slow cooker recipe. Adding the acidic ingredients at the beginning will definitely make the beans tougher and they'll take longer to cook. As far as soaking a variety of beans, I, personally, wouldn't recommend it. In baked beans, by the time the beans land on your plate or in your bowl, any texture and/or flavor differences between the different types of beans will mostly be lost. I have a recipe for baked beans from many years back that was so well-received when I made it for a barbecue I cooked for, that 5 people asked me for the recipe. The recipe was unique in that it had a large quantity of onions, used several different varieties of canned beans, and was cooked in a sort of sweet and sour sauce that I liked a lot. If you're interested in any of these recipes, let me know, and be specific.
  Jon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dani Pagador" <axs.brl@xxxxxxxxx>