[blindcooks] Re: Meat Curing and so on

  • From: "Jonathan Rawlings" <twosocks76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 06:08:34 -0700

Rob: You are delving into relms I have barely even thought of here. We did some sausage making in school, and I admit the idea does kind of appeal to me, but I know nothing about cold smoking, and the prospect of trying to stuff the sausage mixture into the casings is one I am afraid of. I wish you all the luck in the world with these goals. It's too bad I don't live closer so I could try some of this stuff. What is it about modern sausage making practices that puts you off? As far as having an animal being butchered for you, it makes me miss the days when our family could have this done for us. We knew someone up in Idaho that had a small slaughter house and would cut up a beef any way we wanted it. All we had to do was go up there and bring it back. With my grandparents gone and no one in the family willing to make the trip anymore, those days are behind me for now. I admit I have never heard of a packer's brisket before. I can get a brisket that is about 10 to 12 or so pounds at one of my local meat markets here, but my understanding is that the whole brisket is made of two different muscles which each cook and eat somewhat differently. The smokiest piece of meat I've ever had was a brisket I made myself on my smoker many years ago. I am always disappointed when I go to most barbecue restaurants with how little genuine smoke flavor is in the meat. So many of these places focus so much effort on the rub or the sauce, when it's the smoke we really want.
  Jon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob" <captinlogic@xxxxxxxxx>