[blindcooks] Just had to share my pizza success

  • From: "Jon Rawlings" <twosocks76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Blind Cooks List" <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 19:04:22 -0700

Given the fact that Emily is due any day now and there are a number of tasks
that are difficult for her to do right now, I decided to try making pizza in a
skillet for dinner tonight as apposed to my pizza stone.  I looked through what
may be my all-time favorite cookbook full of recipes for the skillet, and found
a recipe for pizza dough, uncooked pizza sauce, and a method that promised a
delicious pizza that would be perfect in every way.  The long and short of it
is that it worked!  I used my 12-inch cast iron skillet for the job.  I made
the dough and let it rise while I prepared the cheese and a few simple
toppings, including some fresh oregano from my garden.  When it came time to
assemble, I put a couple tablespoons of oil in my cold pan, rolled out the
dough to fit, then placed it into the pan.  I spread out some of the sauce,
then my oregano, lots of pepperoni, and finally, the cheese.  The pan then went
over very high heat for about three and a half minutes, then into my 500-degree
oven to finish baking.  The result was at least as good as anything that ever
came off my pizza stone, and maybe even better.  The recipes for the dough and
sauce make enough for two medium-sized pizzas.  I'll bake the second one a bit
later on tonight and keep it for leftovers.  The only sad thing about this
experience is that it's unlikely there will be any days left this season to get
away with cranking  my oven that high.  This means that unless we get another
strong cold front in the next couple weeks, I'll have to wait until October to
make this again.  But, the end result tonight will definitely be worth the
wait.  The fact that there's no guesswork for the vision-impaired person to get
the pizza off the stone certainly doesn't hurt either.   Jon