[blindcooks] Jon's Southwest-style Grilled Chicken Salad with Spicy Ranch Dressing

  • From: "Jon Rawlings" <twosocks76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Blind Cooks List" <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 12:35:49 -0700

To whomever it was that asked for this recipe, here is my best effort to put it
down on paper, as it were.  I do not know the person's name as they didn't sign
their message to the list, and only their email address appears in the from
field.  This may not be exactly what I made last summer, but it will be very
close.  I suggest making the dressing first as it needs time for the flavors to
come together.  Grill the corn at the same time you grill the chicken if you
are using corn on the cob.  You can make the chicken as I did below, or you can
marinate it in any number of appropriate marinades.   You could even create
your own rub, or, simply use salt and pepper.  The important thing is that it
be grilled outdoors over a fire that will generate the smoky flavor and char on
the meat that you really want.
   Jon

Jon's Southwest-style Grilled Chicken Salad
Serves 4 as a main course

FOR THE DRESSING:
   1 packet Hidden Valley buttermilk Ranch salad dressing mix
   1 cup mayonnaise
   1 cup milk
   1 teaspoon ground cumin
   3/4 teaspoon chili powder
   1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, optional
   1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle powder, optional
   1 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper
   Juice from 1 large lime
FOR THE CHICKEN:
   3 to 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
   1 teaspoon chili powder
   1 teaspoon kosher salt
   1 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper
   1 teaspoon ground cumin
   1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
   1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
FOR THE SALAD:
   1 large head romaine lettuce, washed and torn into bite-size pieces
   12 cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
   2 ears sweet yellow corn, grilled and kernels cut from ears
   1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained
   2 large avocados, peeled, pitted, and cut into medium chunks
   3 to 4 scallions, sliced thin (white and green parts)
   1 large cucumber, peeled and cut into medium chunks
   1 cup fresh whole cilantro leaves
   corn tortilla chips, store-bought or homemade, for garnish

1.  To make the dressing:  Combine the mayonnaise and milk in a medium bowl and
whisk to smooth out.  Add the contents of the packet and the remaining spices
and whisk until smooth and well-combined.  Stir in the lime juice.  Cover and
refrigerate until needed.

2.  For the chicken:  Dry the chicken as best you can with paper towels.
Combine the spices for the chicken and rub the mixture all over each chicken
breast.  Grill the chicken over a medium-hot fire until done, but not
overcooked.  The juices should run clear and the internal temperature of the
thickest part of the chicken should be 160 degrees on an instant-read
thermometer.  Remove the chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

3.  To assemble the salad:  Arrange the romaine lettuce on each of four large
plates.  Divide the remaining salad ingredients evenly between the plates, then
arrange the chicken on top.  Garnish with a few tortilla chips or strips for
each plate and serve immediately with the yummy dressing, allowing each person
to dress their own salad.  Serve with crusty, warm, buttered sourdough bread.