[blindchristian] Success and Marriage, April 15, 2015

  • From: "Victoria" <gilkerson2730@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindchristian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 08:53:28 -0500

April 15, 2015

SUCCESS AND MARRIAGE

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this
sums up the Law and the Prophets. Matthew 7:12

In their book Leaders, Warren Bennis and Burt Nanus see five skills shared
by 90 of the world's most successful businessmen. Whatever these men don't
have in common, the authors noted with surprise that almost all of them are
deeply committed to the institution of marriage and are still married to
their first wife. But the question is, "Do the same factors that make them
succeed in business also make them succeed at home?" You can decide for
yourself.

Skill #1: The ability to accept people as they are, not as you would like
them to be. In a way, this can be seen as the height of wisdom: to 'enter
the skin' of someone else, to understand what other people are like on their
terms, rather than judging them." The authors didn't say, "hard work,"
"determination," "whipping your team into shape," rather, getting into the
skin of another. Jesus put it, "Whatever you would that men should do unto
you, even so do you to them" (Matthew 7:12). In marriage it means accepting
your mate as he or she is instead of spending your time trying to whip the
other person into line with your concept of what he or she ought to be. Some
wives work so hard at making their husbands the man she would like to be
married to, they don't have time to be very good wives to their husbands,
and vise versa.

Skill #2: The capacity to approach relationships and problems in terms of
the present rather than the past. Certainly it is true that we can learn
from past mistakes. But using the present as a takeoff point for trying to
make fewer mistakes seemed to be more productive for our leaders--and
certainly was more psychologically sound than rehashing things that are
over. Love in marriage is a fairly recent concept. Romantic love is great!
It is important, but forgiveness is as old as the institution of marriage
itself. Forgiveness allows us to live in the present rather than nurse
bitterness from the past. Vitally important in marriage, just as it is in
business, is forgiveness.

Skill #3: The ability to treat those who are close to you with the same
courteous attention that you extend to strangers and casual acquaintances.
"The need for this skill," say the authors, "is often most obvious--and
lacking--in our relationships with our own families. But it is equally
important at work. We tend to take for granted those to whom we are closest.
Often we get so accustomed to seeing them and hearing from them that we lose
our ability to listen to what they are really saying or to appreciate the
quality--good or bad--of what they are doing." Self explanatory. Strange, is
it not, how we come home, close the door and say things to each other we
would never think of saying to our colleagues on the job? Why? Does marriage
give you license to hurt the ones you love?

Skill #4: The ability to trust others, even if the risk seems great. Trust
is a vital ingredient of love. It means commitment. It involves risk, and
when you have been hurt the tendency is to pull back, withdraw, hesitate.
You can't do it.

Skill #5: The ability to do without constant approval and recognition from
others. Does that skill apply to marriage? I think it does. It doesn't mean
that we don't need to communicate love. Rather it means we must have a deep
confidence that we are secure in each other because initially we made a
commitment to each other and that commitment endures. What makes for success
in the business world makes for success in marriage, or, perhaps, it should
be what makes for success in marriage, makes for success!

Resource reading: Colossians 3.

Disclaimer: The preceding material was written by Dr. Harold J. Sala, and is
copyrighted. You are authorized to download this selection and use it for
your own personal use. Reproduction for sale or financial profit is
prohibited. Permission to reprint should be obtained by contacting
Guidelines at e-mail address: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or mailing address: 26161
Marguerite Parkway. Suite F, Mission Viejo, CA 92692,

Visit www.guidelines.org to download programming, find resources, follow our
speaking schedule, give to Guidelines International Ministries, and stay on
top of developments at Guidelines.

26161 Marguerite Parkway, Suite F,

Mission Viejo, CA 92692, USA

E-mail: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone: 949.582.5001

STAY CONNECTED

Forward this email

This email was sent to gilkerson2730@xxxxxxxxxxxxx by info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx |

Update Profile/Email Address | Rapid removal with SafeUnsubscribeT | Privacy
Policy.

Guidelines International Ministries | 26161 Marguerite Parkway, Suite F |
Mission Viejo | CA | 92692

Victoria E Gilkerson