[blindchristian] Quest for Truth 28 Discipleship Part 4: Fellowship, with Chris Cowen

  • From: Keith Heltsley <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindchristian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 11:17:48 -0500

New post on HPN

<http://podcast.heltsley.net/?author=2>
Quest for Truth 28 Discipleship Part 4: Fellowship, with Chris Cowen
<http://podcast.heltsley.net/2015/quest-for-truth-28-discipleship-part-4-fellowship-with-chris-cowen/>by
keith <http://podcast.heltsley.net/?author=2>
A long show, but worth it.

After a wierd first start, we get started with the show. The theme is
completing our 4 part series on Discipleship. The other parts being:

Bible Reading,

Prayer,
Church, and this episode is
Fellowship.
What makes Fellowship different than simply going to church? We look at the
concept found in the bible:

Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.
Proverbs 27:17 (ESV)

We give a glimpse of an upcoming guest to the show, a radio personality, and
author, Greg Koukl. Stand by for an excellent discussion on defending your
beliefs, and sharing your faith in easy ways.

Back to our topic of fellowship... we talk about interacting with people, on
line connections, and more. The important is in connecting, and making
Christian friends. There are also a few embarrassing stories of lost kids, and
missed connections with parents.

In the interview with Chris Cowen of the <>http://popmockers.com/
<http://popmockers.com/>">Pop Mockers podcast, we talk about some of his other
podcasts. Namely, the Truth About Special Needs, anda couple ways to deal with
those with disabilities. Secrets about our pasts are revealled... number 8 will
shock you!!! OK, not really, I don't think we actually share that many. After
some contrasting and comparing of our denominations... al in fun... Chris gets
us back on topic with some great points from Galatians Chapter 5.

Galatians 5

14 For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: "You shall love your neighbor as
yourself."
15 But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed
by one another.
16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the
flesh.
17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the
Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you
from doing the things you want to do.
18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity,
sensuality,
20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries,
dissensions, divisions,
21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned
you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,
goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its
passions and desires.
25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.
26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
(ESV)

In short, fellowship should unify us as Christians. The key to it all is to
love the Lord, love others, and obey the commands that God has for us.

What about denominations? Who has the right doctrine? We refer to 1 Corinthians
3 where we find that no matter what, we are all part of Jesus. Take time to
read the entire chapter to get more on how e ought to be doing our part in
building up the body of Christ.

1 Corinthians 3

22 whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the
present or the future -- all are yours,
23 and you are Christ's, and Christ is God's.
(ESV)

Unity, and learning more about who God is can be the unifying factor,
especially where individual or denominational teachings may vary.

Is there a place to call out the "Morality Police"? Doesn't that cause
disunity, when we pass judgement on each other? Is there a good time and place
to share the gospel message? When a clear transformation has taken place,
people often will seek out of their curiosity to learn what happened.

Judgement has its place within the body of the church. Its fine to hold other
Christians accountable, but for those in the world, only god has the right to
judge them. And they will be held accountable to him. Despite the sin, all
should be welcomed to come to Christ, and participating in a body of believers.
Then let god work in exposing sin for what it is, which happens as we see
ourselves more and more as he sees us.

We talk a little about sin and corruption that can sneak into the church to
distort its original mission. How do you clean up the house when standards seem
to shift?

Afterward, and back in the studio with Nathan, we wrap up with a few closing
thoughts on mentors. We share examples of iron sharpening iron, and what it
looks like in the Christian walk.

keith <http://podcast.heltsley.net/?author=2> | August 13, 2015 at 12:44 pm |
Categories: Quest for Truth
<http://podcast.heltsley.net/?taxonomy=category&term=quest-for-truth> | URL: