[blindchristian] Discuss 1 Cor 7

  • From: Keith Heltsley <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindchristian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 15:04:43 -0600

Any takers? What do you think of what Paul is teaching here? He covers a lot of ground, and apparent problems that this early church was having. Is he a wacko? Is his teaching relevant today? As a whole, are we still doing and desiring the same things he brings up? What about his statement of his opinions, that aren't the direct word from God? He's pretty concrete that these are commands of god, until he gets into the business of the debate of marrying, or staying single.

My summary of 1 Cor 7.

Paul claims it is good to not have sexual relations, but for those who don't feel that way, get married and go for it. One man for one wife, with the man having authority over the wife, and the wife having authority over the husband. Don't deny, or abstain from it, other than in a dedication to prayer. Paul thinks the better way is his, without sex, or a mate. Hmm... not gonna happen Paul. Where would future generations be with married people. Sorry, I can't agree that the celibate life is for everybody. Doesn't god command us to fill and populate the earth?

Paul encourages single people to stay single, and celibate. But to marry if sex is that important to you. Speaking from a command from god, Paul ordains that a woman can't leave her husband, but if she does to remain unmarried, or reconcile with her husband. Men, don't put your wives away with divorce.

When unequally yoked, stay together. The unbelieving one is sanctified, under grace, blessed through the believing one. It's also good for the extending of sanctification to the kids. However, if the unbelieving mate wants to leave, let them go. How do you know whether you'll bring them to salvation?

On circumcision, remain how you were when god called you.

On slavery, be content where you are, you're Christ's freeman. If you can become free, that's OK. A freeman is Christs slave. Either way you were bought with a price. Don't be slaves of men.

On virgins. Stay that way until marriage. Bottom line, stay as you are, but it's no sin to be married. Its just that a marital relationship brings a world of relational troubles.

By troubles Paul compares. The single man, or virgin have their mind set on god. The married person is foremost concerned with family matters. Not to be a restraint, but to let you know what you're getting into.

If a man wants to give his virgin daughter in marriage, it's OK. If he doesn't want to, and keep supporting her, that's OK too.

Marriage covenant is only broken by death, then it's OK to remarry. However Paul thinks he has the mind of god to endorse staying single.

End of Summary

What do you think is the theme here? What's the message Paul is trying to tell us? To use him as the model, and shun the complications of marriage?

To remain as you are seems to be the important thing. To be happy in what ever condition you are in right now. Marriage is a life long commitment, and nothing designed to be backed out of It's easier to choose to be married than to take a road that breaks out of it. Choose wisely before making that marital covenant.

Paul certainly isn't saying that marriage is a sin. However, the way a person treats it just might be. Investigate it, and be aware of what you're getting into, and who you're getting into it with, before hand.

What do you think? Notice all my questions? Why do you think I ask so many questions? Do you think that maybe I want some ideas or opinions back? Either that, or I just like giving my question mark a work out.

Keith Heltsley