[blindchristian] Bible Readings, February 6

  • From: "Victoria" <gilkerson2730@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindchristian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 06:53:05 -0600

DONNIE DAILY DELIGHTS FOR FRIDAY FEBRUARY 6:

WORD OF WISDOM

Use what talent you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang
except those that sang best.

___

DAILY DEVOTION

Remember the Best, Forget the Rest

"I thank my God every time I remember you." (Philippians 1:3 NIV)

What do you remember about people - the good experiences or the bad
experiences? The apostle Paul said, "I like to remember the good things
about people, focus on the good times we've had, and remember the positive
experiences."

When Paul said this, he had not had an easy time in Philippi. Acts 16 tells
us that when he went to Philippi he was illegally arrested, whipped,
humiliated, and thrown into prison before finally being asked to leave town.

Yet he says, "I thank my God every time I remember you" (Philippians 1:3
NIV).

Paul could have dwelt on the negative. He could have remembered the painful
memories. He chose not to remember the painful things; instead, he focused
on the things he could be grateful for.

Maybe you have been hurt in the past by a parent or a partner, and you're
still holding on to that hurt. As a result, you can't enjoy being around
them today. You're still focusing on the negative.

Be grateful for the good in people. Pleasant memories are a choice. I can
choose what I'm going to remember about the past.

I'm not saying that you deny the hurts you've had or that you excuse the
weaknesses in other people. That is psychologically unhealthy. But focus on
the good, and choose to emphasize the strengths.

I hear wives say, "He's a good man, but ..." Anytime you hear "but," it
means the emphasis is on the negative and not the positive. Be grateful for
what you've got! Mr. Perfect does not exist! I've heard the same thing from
husbands, but Mrs. Perfect does not exist, either!

If you want to enjoy others, you've got to focus on their strengths and not
their weaknesses. With some people, it takes a lot of creativity. But you
can find something good in everybody.

What are the painful memories that have kept you from showing love fully to
someone?

What will you pray today so that you can let go of those memories and move
on with your life?

What about that person can you be grateful for?

___

DAILY BIBLE READING

Leviticus 22-24The Message (MSG)

22 1-2 God spoke to Moses: "Tell Aaron and his sons to treat the holy
offerings that the Israelites consecrate to me with reverence so they won't
desecrate my holy name. I am God.

3 "Tell them, From now on, if any of your descendants approaches in a state
of ritual uncleanness the holy offerings that the Israelites consecrate to
God, he will be cut off from my presence. I am God.

4-8 "Each and every one of Aaron's descendants who has an infectious skin
disease or a discharge may not eat any of the holy offerings until he is
clean. Also, if he touches anything defiled by a corpse, or has an emission
of semen, or is contaminated by touching a crawling creature, or touches a
person who is contaminated for whatever reason-a person who touches any such
thing will be ritually unclean until evening and may not eat any of the holy
offerings unless he has washed well with water. After the sun goes down he
is clean and may go ahead and eat the holy offerings; they are his food. But
he must not contaminate himself by eating anything found dead or torn by
wild animals. I am God.

9 "The priests must observe my instructions lest they become guilty and die
by treating the offerings with irreverence. I am God who makes them holy.

10-13 "No layperson may eat anything set apart as holy. Nor may a priest's
guest or his hired hand eat anything holy. But if a priest buys a slave, the
slave may eat of it; also the slaves born in his house may eat his food. If
a priest's daughter marries a layperson, she may no longer eat from the holy
contributions. But if the priest's daughter is widowed or divorced and
without children and returns to her father's household as before, she may
eat of her father's food. But no layperson may eat of it.

14 "If anyone eats from a holy offering accidentally, he must give back the
holy offering to the priest and add twenty percent to it.

15-16 "The priests must not treat with irreverence the holy offerings of the
Israelites that they contribute to God lest they desecrate themselves and
make themselves guilty when they eat the holy offerings. I am God who makes
them holy."

17-25 God spoke to Moses: "Tell Aaron and his sons and all the People of
Israel, Each and every one of you, whether native born or foreigner, who
presents a Whole-Burnt-Offering to God to fulfill a vow or as a
Freewill-Offering, must make sure that it is a male without defect from
cattle, sheep, or goats for it to be acceptable. Don't try slipping in some
creature that has a defect-it won't be accepted. Whenever anyone brings an
offering from cattle or sheep as a Peace-Offering to God to fulfill a vow or
as a Freewill-Offering, it has to be perfect, without defect, to be
acceptable. Don't try giving God an animal that is blind, crippled,
mutilated, an animal with running sores, a rash, or mange. Don't place any
of these on the Altar as a gift to God. You may, though, offer an ox or
sheep that is deformed or stunted as a Freewill-Offering, but it is not
acceptable in fulfilling a vow. Don't offer to God an animal with bruised,
crushed, torn, or cut-off testicles. Don't do this in your own land but
don't accept them from foreigners and present them as food for your God
either. Because of deformities and defects they will not be acceptable."

26-30 God spoke to Moses: "When a calf or lamb or goat is born, it is to
stay with its mother for seven days. After the eighth day, it is acceptable
as an offering, a gift to God. Don't slaughter both a cow or ewe and its
young on the same day. When you sacrifice a Thanksgiving-Offering to God, do
it right so it will be acceptable. Eat it on the same day; don't leave any
leftovers until morning. I am God.

31 "Do what I tell you; live what I tell you. I am God.

32-33 "Don't desecrate my holy name. I insist on being treated with holy
reverence among the People of Israel. I am God who makes you holy and
brought you out of Egypt to be your God. I am God."

The Feasts

23 1-2 God spoke to Moses: "Tell the People of Israel, These are my
appointed feasts, the appointed feasts of God which you are to decree as
sacred assemblies.

3 "Work six days. The seventh day is a Sabbath, a day of total and complete
rest, a sacred assembly. Don't do any work. Wherever you live, it is a
Sabbath to God.

4 "These are the appointed feasts of God, the sacred assemblies which you
are to announce at the times set for them:

5 "God's Passover, beginning at sundown on the fourteenth day of the first
month.

6-8 "God's Feast of Unraised Bread, on the fifteenth day of this same month.

You are to eat unraised bread for seven days. Hold a sacred assembly on the
first day; don't do any regular work. Offer Fire-Gifts to God for seven
days. On the seventh day hold a sacred assembly; don't do any regular work."

9-14 God spoke to Moses: "Tell the People of Israel, When you arrive at the
land that I am giving you and reap its harvest, bring to the priest a sheaf
of the first grain that you harvest. He will wave the sheaf before God for
acceptance on your behalf; on the morning after Sabbath, the priest will
wave it. On the same day that you wave the sheaf, offer a year-old male lamb
without defect for a Whole-Burnt-Offering to God and with it the
Grain-Offering of four quarts of fine flour mixed with oil-a Fire-Gift to
God, a pleasing fragrance-and also a Drink-Offering of a quart of wine.

Don't eat any bread or roasted or fresh grain until you have presented this
offering to your God. This is a perpetual decree for all your generations to
come, wherever you live.

15-21 "Count seven full weeks from the morning after the Sabbath when you
brought the sheaf as a Wave-Offering, fifty days until the morning of the
seventh Sabbath. Then present a new Grain-Offering to God. Bring from
wherever you are living two loaves of bread made from four quarts of fine
flour and baked with yeast as a Wave-Offering of the first ripe grain to
God. In addition to the bread, offer seven yearling male lambs without
defect, plus one bull and two rams. They will be a Whole-Burnt-Offering to
God together with their Grain-Offerings and Drink-Offerings-offered as
Fire-Gifts, a pleasing fragrance to God. Offer one male goat for an
Absolution-Offering and two yearling lambs for a Peace-Offering. The priest
will wave the two lambs before God as a Wave-Offering, together with the
bread of the first ripe grain. They are sacred offerings to God for the
priest. Proclaim the day as a sacred assembly. Don't do any ordinary work.

It is a perpetual decree wherever you live down through your generations.

22 "When you reap the harvest of your land, don't reap the corners of your
field or gather the gleanings. Leave them for the poor and the foreigners. I
am God, your God."

23-25 God said to Moses: "Tell the People of Israel, On the first day of the
seventh month, set aside a day of rest, a sacred assembly-mark it with loud
blasts on the ram's horn. Don't do any ordinary work. Offer a Fire-Gift to
God."

26-32 God said to Moses: "The tenth day of the seventh month is the Day of
Atonement. Hold a sacred assembly, fast, and offer a Fire-Gift to God. Don't
work on that day because it is a day of atonement to make atonement for you
before your God. Anyone who doesn't fast on that day must be cut off from
his people. I will destroy from among his people anyone who works on that
day. Don't do any work that day-none. This is a perpetual decree for all the
generations to come, wherever you happen to be living. It is a Sabbath of
complete and total rest, a fast day. Observe your Sabbath from the evening
of the ninth day of the month until the following evening."

33-36 God said to Moses: "Tell the People of Israel, God's Feast of Booths
begins on the fifteenth day of the seventh month. It lasts seven days. The
first day is a sacred assembly; don't do any ordinary work. Offer Fire-Gifts
to God for seven days. On the eighth day hold a sacred assembly and offer a
gift to God. It is a solemn convocation. Don't do any ordinary work.

37-38 "These are the appointed feasts of God which you will decree as sacred
assemblies for presenting Fire-Gifts to God: the Whole-Burnt-Offerings,
Grain-Offerings, sacrifices, and Drink-Offerings assigned to each day. These
are in addition to offerings for God's Sabbaths and also in addition to
other gifts connected with whatever you have vowed and all the
Freewill-Offerings you give to God.

39-43 "So, summing up: On the fifteenth day of the seventh month, after you
have brought your crops in from your fields, celebrate the Feast of God for
seven days. The first day is a complete rest and the eighth day is a
complete rest. On the first day, pick the best fruit from the best trees;
take fronds of palm trees and branches of leafy trees and from willows by
the brook and celebrate in the presence of your God for seven days-yes, for
seven full days celebrate it as a festival to God. Every year from now on,
celebrate it in the seventh month. Live in booths for seven days-every son
and daughter of Israel is to move into booths so that your descendants will
know that I made the People of Israel live in booths when I brought them out
of the land of Egypt. I am God, your God."

44 Moses posted the calendar for the annual appointed feasts of God which
Israel was to celebrate.

Light and Bread

24 1-4 God spoke to Moses: "Order the People of Israel to bring you virgin
olive oil for light so that the lamps may be kept burning continually. Aaron
is in charge of keeping these lamps burning in front of the curtain that
screens The Testimony in the Tent of Meeting from evening to morning
continually before God. This is a perpetual decree down through the
generations. Aaron is responsible for keeping the lamps burning continually
on the Lampstand of pure gold before God.

5-9 "Take fine flour and bake twelve loaves of bread, using about four
quarts of flour to a loaf. Arrange them in two rows of six each on the Table
of pure gold before God. Along each row spread pure incense, marking the
bread as a memorial; it is a gift to God. Regularly, every Sabbath, this
bread is to be set before God, a perpetual covenantal response from Israel.

The bread then goes to Aaron and his sons, who are to eat it in a Holy
Place. It is their most holy share from the gifts to God. This is a
perpetual decree."

10-12 One day the son of an Israelite mother and an Egyptian father went out
among the Israelites. A fight broke out in the camp between him and an
Israelite. The son of the Israelite woman blasphemed the Name of God and
cursed. They brought him to Moses. His mother's name was Shelomith, daughter
of Dibri of the tribe of Dan. They put him in custody waiting for God's will
to be revealed to them.

13-16 Then God spoke to Moses: "Take the blasphemer outside the camp. Have
all those who heard him place their hands on his head; then have the entire
congregation stone him. Then tell the Israelites, Anyone who curses God will
be held accountable; anyone who blasphemes the Name of God must be put to
death. The entire congregation must stone him. It makes no difference
whether he is a foreigner or a native, if he blasphemes the Name, he will be
put to death.

17-22 "Anyone who hits and kills a fellow human must be put to death. Anyone
who kills someone's animal must make it good-a life for a life. Anyone who
injures his neighbor will get back the same as he gave: fracture for
fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. What he did to hurt that person will
be done to him. Anyone who hits and kills an animal must make it good, but
whoever hits and kills a fellow human will be put to death. And no double

standards: the same rule goes for foreigners and natives. I am God, your
God."

23 Moses then spoke to the People of Israel. They brought the blasphemer
outside the camp and stoned him. The People of Israel followed the orders
God had given Moses.

The Message (MSG)

Copyright C 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

to post to the list:

donnie_daily_delights@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Help address

donnie_daily_delights-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subscription address

donnie_daily_delights-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Unsubscribe address

table with 3 columns and 103 rows nesting level 1

Victoria E Gilkerson