[Blind Casting] Recording/podcasting under Linux

  • From: Steve Holmes <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 04:51:03 -0700

This is a very interesting thread to me so that's why I'm also including
this for the new list.  Be sure to follow us over there so this really
good thread can stay alive!

I use linux for some of my podcasts but I've also cheated and dual
booted into windows and used GoldWave for post processing.  What I've
done so far is record with the arecord basic ALSA recording command and
then use lame to encode the wav to mp3 and the id3v2 utility to properly
tag my mp3's.  The only weak spot I've run into so far is sound editting
but that's probably only due to my laziness as I haven't learned
ecasound yet.  I hear that ecasound makes a pretty good sound edittor
though.  The only other problem I have run into is when I normalize my
wav files under linux, I use the sox command with appropriate command
line arguments to normalize but I found that when doing it under
Goldwave I had better options and could result in much louder files.  So
I would like to persue this further.

Bottom line: I'm sure with the right tools, one could completely produce
and publish podcasts from Linux.  I already use Linux exclusively to
retrieve and listen to my podcasts.  Let's keep this discussion going;
this is stimulating at best:).

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 01:21:14AM -0400, Jason Castonguay wrote:
> Hey everyone out there!
>
> I hope that I am not asking one of those questions that has been asked
> over and over again.  If I am, please accept my sincerest apologies.
>
> Has anyone come across any good tutorials on how to record and edit
> audio under Linux?  I would need to be doing this from the text console
> (unless, of course, there is a way I have not yet heard of to record
> from a GUI interface).  I have ecasound installed, but I have not found
> an appropriate tutorial on how to use this program either.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much.
>

> Best regards,
>

> --
> "Let music echo the thoughts of your soul."
>
>                 --  Jason Castonguay <jcast@xxxxxxxx>
>

> Today is Setting Orange, the 51st day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3171

- --
HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!
http://ld.net/?holmesgrown