Re: Questions from a vision-impaired TV producer...

  • From: "janet smith`" <janetp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 18:38:58 -0700

aim screen name Calley22
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gordon Fuller" <gordon.fuller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2006 6:21 PM
Subject: Questions from a vision-impaired TV producer...

Howdy,

I'm a visually impaired (late stage RP), professional TV producer -- with
very little hands-on experience with podcasting. I like the medium a lot and
hope to use it to promote my shows.

I am finding the tech for podcasts distribution and RSS difficult to use due
to accessibility problems. I keep looking for a way to schedule and manage
podcasts to which I subscribe. I'd like it to work like a PVR.

I would like to know your experience and/or opinions about the
desirability/usability of video with a narrative descriptive audio track.

Would you prefer or suggest that podcast videos or Vlogs be republished as
an audio podcasts?

Have you ever subscribed or used podcasts videos or vlogs?

Were the video podcasts or vlogs accessible?

Did any podcasts video ever feature narrative descriptions?

Do you know if any media player supports narrative captioning?

Can you suggest a specific media player as a benchmark or standard used by
most blind or visually impaired users?

I find it very difficult to find accessible tools for producing and
distributing podcasts. The media players have been my worst nightmare!

Thanks to this list I learned of 'Real Alternative', which allowed me to
break the RealPlayer silence (posed by the inaccessible Real Media
designers.) Thank You All!

I've been in touch with a few of you and look forward to getting to know
others. In the near future I will welcome the opportunity to collaborate
with others on projects.

Best Wishes for the New Year!

Gordon Fuller
executive producer,