[blindapple] Re: Program for Morse code output

  • From: Tony Baechler <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindapple@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:19:44 -0700

Hi.  Actually, Applemu does emulate the speaker and is moderately
accessible.  The main problem is that it won't run from Windows at all and
requires a separate DOS boot disk.  It will cause severe hard disk
fragmentation and crosslinked files if run from a hard drive.  It does, to
a point, emulate the Apple speaker.  I was able to play music with it and
it worked, but was much more quiet than it should be.  Another option, if
you have some sighted help, is ApplePC or maybe AppleWin.  They both
emulate the speaker fine and beep when the Apple boots as the real Apple
does, so if you used something like A2 to make a boot disk which ran the
Morse program that could work.  Frankly, I think it isn't worth the effort
for the little which would be made accessible, but it's a novelty anyway.

In other news, I came to a realization which might interest some of
you.  The IF archive has some Apple II games including a master set of
working Eamon disk images.  Among the games are some from Penguin.  I had a
cracked copy of a Penguin game for my real Apple and it didn't talk at all,
however it works fine under A2.  The point is that some real Apple software
is actually more accessible with an emulator than with a real computer.

In case you don't know, IF stands for interactive fiction, also known as
text adventures.  All the Infocom games are considered IF, for
example.  The main ftp site for the IF archive is very slow, so I recommend
one of these instead.  You want if-archive/games/appleII/ and there is an
Index file which explains what's there.

http://mirror.ifarchive.org/
ftp://ftp.guetech.org/pub/guetech/if-archive/

The only problem with the Eamon games there, and my mentioning that I would
repackage them is that they are all individual files as opposed to one big
zip file.  I find that the big zip file is more convenient to store,
besides taking up much less space.

blindapple-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word 'unsubscribe' in the subject
line.
Archives of prior list messages are available at
//www.freelists.org/archives/blindapple
This list is powered by Free Lists!  For more info, go to www.freelists.org