blind_html Re: my concerns with bookshare and Humanware

  • From: Nimer <nimerjaber1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind_html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 23:31:00 -0600

Paul,
Everyone is entitled to their opinions about products, however you have not personally had, operated, or used an icon, and therefore can not judge the quality. Everything you pointed out with the exception of the LCD display is included on an icon. Also, I am not sure who put you under the delusion that the Icon has a flash disk. The Icon doesn't even use flash except to store its software and firmware, although they do give you a little space for storage on flash, I wouldn't use it though. They provide you with a 40 GB hard drive, which is five times more than the Braille Sense. Do I like the Braille Sense? Yes, I do. However, the Icon is more powerful and is not even half the price. Some of this is due to the lack of a screen and a braille display, however icons have braille display support for external displays, and most individuals would have no need for an LCD. If I wanted someone else to see it, I would just email it.

Thanks
Nimer J

Paul Tandy wrote:
Come on dude.

I've heard some crhrhrhrhrhrhrhrhrhrhrappy things about the Icon and Braille plus. I've heard that their flash disk is small. Is that true.

I like Gw micro a lot more. They actually care about their customers and update their windows opperating system. I'de rather have a Braille sense plus than a Braillenote. When you type in the word processor in your Bn, it saves it as a kwb file. Who uses that?
I mean, the Braille sense plus didn't even recognise that file type.
Here are some reasons why I like the Braille sense plus.

1.  They have three built-in alarms.
2. Their wireless is grhrhrhrhrhrhrhrate. It works even when you have a rhrhrhrhreeeeeeeely low signal.
3.  You can record and m p 3 and wave.
4. There radio is out of a scale of 1-to10 is to 11 out of 10. That doesn't make sense I know, but it is. You can record the radio in m p 3 and wave. 5. You can have up to seven tasks open at once by using all special keystrokes that are easy and short. 6. You can order a battery for the Braille sense plus. You may be thinking, this is just a waste of money. Most companies make you ship your unit to the other ends of the world to their company. But with Gw micro you can order a battery and put it in your unit when your previous battery is shot. 7. The keys are really quiet. They're so quiet that once I was at a meeting, and no one even could tell I was typing. 8. The Braille sense plus has two speakers, one on each side which has great quality. 9. There is an lcd display on the top of the unit. This is useful for people who are visually impaired and can't read braille very well. They can simply look at the lcd display and can see what they are writing on the screen.

Maybe all companies want money, but some really care.

Gw micro and Hims really care. Whatever we want and need, 99 percent of the time, it's on the new upgrade. They have a list where people ask and answer questions and the technical support team is really great. They answer all of our questions. If your on the Braillenote list, you know that Humanware hardly ever responds to our questions.

Paul