blind_html [Fwd: experiment to make map info online accessible--please participate!]

  • From: Nimer <nimerjaber1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind_html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 08:15:49 -0700

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: experiment to make map info online accessible--please participate!
Date:   Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:33:01 +0000
From:   Thomas, Kavita E <tkavita@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:     programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,
I was hoping you might be able to help me by participating in an online
experiment on accessibility. We're developing a prototype system which takes
numerical data found on maps online (like census data) and communicates it as
texts so that it's accessible to the blind and VI community.
I'm running a final experiment now to find out which types of texts are most
preferred by blind and VI users so that we can implement these in our system,
and so I was hoping that you might be willing to participate. The experiment
takes on average half an hour and it's online, so you can do it whenever is
best for you, though it needs to be done all in one sitting without taking
breaks or pauses in the middle. It is also a bit repetitive and requires your
full concentration, but the results will hopefully enable us to communicate
spatial information in maps in a more accessible way.
Your participation will really make a difference and help us to produce texts
which make the most sense to blind and VI users in
general. Please forward this on to anyone else who you think might be willing
to participate.
The website to go to to take the experiment is:
http://www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/~tkavita/Experiments/RefFrame/
Thanks very much,
Dr Kavita Thomas
the Atlas.txt project: www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/research/atlas
Department of Computing Science
University of Aberdeen

__________

Nimer M. Jaber

it
is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
review,
reliance
upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient
is
prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender via reply
e-mail, and delete the
material from any computer.

Website:
http://www.empowertheblind.org