[blind-it] Re: blind-it Digest V1 #4

  • From: "Marvin Hunkin" <startrekcafe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-it@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 18:44:18 +1100

        Introduction:

Hi.
its Marvin Hunkin here from Devonport, Tasmania, Australia.
i am blind, 43, and have been interested in computers, audio visual for a
number of years.
and a dos guru, that is when i started dabbling in computers in the 80s,
using a keynote gold sa external box, with the keynote screen reader.
i forgot what the screen reader was called, and used word perfect, lotus
123, dbase, etc.
and then have been using windows bridge, pro talk, and now jaws for windows.
and my focus and interests has been on accessible web site development,
accessible Microsoft Office and accessible database design.
and can design websites and code in html, x html, html 4.01, xml, css, and a
little bit of java script.
at the moment, developing a few projects and hobby websites.
still under construction.
and at the moment taking programming classess in Visual Basic.
and love Star Trek, especially the next generation, voyager and deep space
nine.
love 80s music, and love my sport as well, australian rules football,
soccer, cricket, basketball.
cheers Marvin.

Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 22:38:58 -0500
From: "Al Puzzuoli" <alpuzz@xxxxxxx>

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to welcome all of you to the list, introduce myself, and
hopefully get the ball rolling on a few topics.

My name is Al Puzzuoli.  Many of you may have seen me floating around
various other techy lists over time.      I'm blind myself,  and have
been an avid  computer user since the days of the Apple Iie.  I've been
involved  in the computer profession in one way or another throughout my
career.  I was with HumanWare for a number of years.  Nowadays, I'm the
Information Technologist at Michigan State University's Resource Center
for Persons with Disabilities.  I've had a lot of experience with
Assistive Technology as well as general PC troubleshooting but now for
the first time in my career, I've  really gotten the opportunity to
focus  on the  back office side of things.  Over the past year and a
half, I've learned a ton about network and server administration;
However, the more I learn, the more I realize how much I still need to
know.

There are any number of forums on the net covering topics such as server
administration, the rollout of images, etc; However, in my searches, I
was never able to find a forum which focused on these topics from a
blindness perspective.

I'm working on a number of projects right now, from seeking an
accessible, cost effective  antivirus anti-spam solution for our
exchange server, to  investigating the accessibility of various
platforms on which to run virtual machines.

Please feel free to start threads about those, or any other topics  in
which you might have an interest.

If you want to post an introduction, summary of your background, what
you hope to gain from this list, etc, please feel free to do that as
well.
I suggest that if you do post an intro, do it as a reply to this thread.
That way, we'll have  an ongoing intro thread, and separate threads  for
any topical issues that may come up.

Again, welcome to the list!

Al Puzzuoli
Information Technologist
Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities  517-884-1915  120 Bessey
Hall East Lansing, MI  48824-1033 http://www.rcpd.msu.edu