[blind-education] Re: New member

  • From: "Mike Stewart" <stewart_1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-education@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 16:38:58 -0600

Thanks,
My first question is, does anyone on the list have any experiences with accessibility issues with teachers? I don't mean that the possible adaptive procedure/equipment isn't available...but have they been unwilling to provide them in the first place?

I ask because I ran into real trouble at the University of North Texas (where I got my MA) regarding becoming a Teaching Assistant (TA) in the History dept. You can't become a Teaching Fellow (TF) without being a TA first. TA's assist professor in the grunt work of teaching; grading tests, taking attendance, etc while TF actually teach survey level courses. I got the "He's blind so he can't teach" crap from the Department Chair. Oh, not to my face but I heard it from most of the other faculty.

Why does it bug me? Because without any TA/TF experience getting a teaching job is REAL tough. Sure you have the degrees but if you have no experience on the college level they don't want to risk hiring you.

Fortunately Tyler Junior College was willing to take a risk on me and let me teach...and I'll always be greatful for that. But from 2005 to this year I was unemployed because of that idiocy.

Anyone else have this experience?

Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Zach, Netbook Edition" <chickerland@xxxxxxxxx>