[blind-democracy] Re: what is the working class?

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2016 21:40:35 -0400

At last we agree on something, Alice. Indeed, if we say that the only definition that is valid is our own personal definitions we have degenerated into a vagueness that makes not only analysis and application of theory impossible, but simple discussion of the matter impossible. One might just as well say that they know that they are working class because they feel it in their heart. And that, by the way, is a very common frustration of mine. I can be talking to someone who starts spouting something nonsensical and when I ask for clarification I am told, I feel it in my heart. I suppose that is another way of saying, it is a completely personal subjective impression for me. That is a signal to end the discussion because it does not recognize objective reality. So far, I have not run into that too much concerning what is the working class, but if people did start to say that the working class is what I feel in my heart then how could I possibly discuss anything having to do with class dynamics with them?
On 8/27/2016 4:37 PM, Alice Dampman Humel wrote:

If we do not, can not, will not agree on some sort of common definition, at least a basic one, then all further conversation and discussion is pointless and impossible, because we won’t even remotely be talking about the same thing.
So many things in your ad hoc definition need their own definitions.
What is necessity?
What constitutes living as opposed to existing or surviving?
Is survival a viable reward for the working class?
What constitutes work?
How much freedom will your definition allow in choosing what kind of work one will do?
A surgeon works. Is he working class? He has to work to live and to pay back all those student loans.
But I don’t think he’d consider himself working class.

On Aug 27, 2016, at 1:20 PM, Frank Ventura <frank.ventura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:frank.ventura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Well, the answer is that we each should hold our own personal definition. My definition is someone who *must* work to provide for himself (or herself), as opposed to someone who does not need towork, but perhaps does anyway; nor someone who doesn't work and still survives.
Frank