[blind-democracy] Re: uber fined in cal partially for violating ada

  • From: "Bob Hachey" <bhachey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 06:49:37 -0400

Hi Alice,

I'd say that the media focuses on Uber because it is new and kind of under
the microscope right now. I will fault Uber's background checking procedure
for not weeding out a known rapist. But, I've heard tell of cases where
traditional taxi drivers have done similar.

Two things that do concern me regarding Uber.

1. One of their main lobbyists is none other than Rahm Emanuel, a true
slimeball.

2. Uber officials have repeatedly claimed that they are a "ride sharing"
business and not in the taxi business so they shouldn't be subject to the
same regs as taxi companies.

Bob Hachey