[blind-democracy] Re: uber fined in cal partially for violating ada

  • From: Alice Dampman Humel <alicedh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 03:01:37 -0400

Miriam,
Sometimes on a Manhattan street, there would be practically nothing but taxis,
remember how that was? It always struck me as sort of funny for some reason, a
picture in my head of that sea of yellow cruising down the avenue!
I knew somebody made a sign like that, I tried to get one about 20 years ago,
and no one knew what I was talking about. I began to think I had made it up! It
was a great idea.
And here in Boston, you can also hail a cab on the street. I think it might be
that way in larger cities that have fleets of cabs and where, like in
Manhattan, many people don’t own cars. Here in Boston, though, it seems that
more and more people do have cars, though.
I rarely took cabs, because although they were convenient, they were expensive.
I remember walking from Penn Station up to Central Park West up in the 70s in a
pair of heels…it nearly killed me. Ah, to be young again!
Alice
On Jul 18, 2015, at 9:42 PM, Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think that hailing a cab is a Manhattan phenomenon. The American
Foundation for the Blind used to sell big yellow buttons with the word,
taxi, in black capital letters. So a blind person could stand on a corner,
and there's a technique about which corner so you know when the cab has
stopped for you, and hold up this button, and a cab would stop. But in
midtown Manhattan, there were always lots of sighted people willing to help
a blind person get a cab. It's a whole different situation in other places.