[blind-democracy] Re: that word

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 21:18:26 -0500

I have not been familiar with the word woke used in that sense until now. To me woke is what you have done when you have finished sleeping. But if it means politically correct and was used by Pompeo then I would suppose that it was used in a pejorative manner. Politically correct still should be a form of praise in my way of thinking, but the right-wing have still perverted it into a term of ridicule for anyone who demands respect or is willing to give respect. So this sounds like another attempt by the right-wingers to pervert another word.

___

George H. Smith “It is my firm conviction that man has nothing to gain, emotionally or otherwise, by adhering to a falsehood, regardless of how comfortable or sacred that falsehood may appear. Anyone who claims, on the one hand, that he is concerned with human welfare, and who demands, on the other hand, that man must suspend or renounce the use of his reason, is contradicting himself. There can be no knowledge of what is good for man apart from knowledge of reality and human nature, and there is no manner in which this knowledge can be acquired except through reason. To advocate irrationality is to advocate that which is destructive to human life.” ― George H. Smith, Atheism: The Case Against God
On 1/15/2021 7:20 PM, Miriam Vieni wrote:

Remember the word, woke and wokeness? It was Pompeo who used it in a speech.
I read about that speech again today and from the context, I believe the
word means, "politically correct", and "wokeness" means "political
correctness".