[blind-democracy] Re: my own thoughts on mental illness and guns

  • From: "Bob Hachey" <bhachey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 17:15:02 -0400

Hi Carl,
So sad to here of the tragic life of your sister. I had a sister-in-law with
some of the same issues. Not quite as dramatic as your sister, but close. IT
included many ruined holidays, car accidents, court dates, etc.
No doubt that our system does a terrible job dealing with mental illness.
But, having experienced this stuff first hand, I'm not sure what kind of
system would suffice. Obviously, we need more funding for support systems,
but, given human nature, I fear that even with what looks to be a good
system, we will still fail both persons with mental illness and society
generally.
The toughest issues revolve around having someone committed to treatment
against his or her will. Certainly no easy ansers as a get tough policy
could be open to terrible abuse.
Perhaps it is that part of the anser lies in making major changes to our
mess up society such that people are under less stress.
Bob Hachey