[blind-democracy] Re: email spam

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2019 22:19:13 -0400

Re: [blind-democracy] email spam
That is true. I could be over generalizing and I really don't know to what extent cultures vary from African country to African country. The book I am
talking about is one that I forget both the title and author. If you are interested I could look it up in my read shelf on Goodreads. But I think the author
was from Cameroon. Maybe I got that wrong, but it was not Nigeria. My reference to Nigeria was about a certain African student I knew when I was in college.
But he was the most prominent example that I know of myself of an African who made a lot of outrageous requests and I along with other students at the
time, assumed it to be a part of his individual personality, a very annoying part of his personality. Still, though, there were other African students
who did the same thing even if to a lesser extent and there is still the example of my acquaintance who had pen pals from around the world and was rather
astounded by the requests made of her by her African pen pals. That is, the habit seemed to be somehow characteristic of Africans and Africans from more
than one country. I had no explanation for it. Then I read that book. It was one I downloaded from Learning Ally. The author was talking about only one
African country, his own country, and if I am remembering correctly it was Cameroon. The behavior he described matched the examples I knew of very well.
I was so impressed by an explanation for something that I was already aware of, but had no explanation myself, that I remember posting on this list about
it. So I am inferring and generalizing about African countries other than what that author mentioned, but it was so similar to what I have noticed about
the residents of subSaharan Africa in general that I strongly suspect that the generalization is correct. I am not actively seeking out information about
this practice elsewhere in Africa, but if I come across any then I will stand to be corrected about my generalization. Unfortunately, the author did not
say what the proper response is to the request for an expensive gift or an outrageous favor. I could have used that information back when I knew Ita. That
was the name of my Nigerian acquaintance. I just knew that I didn't want to be rude to him and tell him that he was entirely out of line, but at the same
time I just couldn't do some of the things he asked for or if I could do them it would have meant using up a lot of time and could have been very expensive.
I was just left at a loss about what to say to him. Some other people told him off though.

---

Christopher Hitchens
“ What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. ”
―  Christopher Hitchens,

On 4/20/2019 9:41 PM, Miriam Vieni wrote:
block quote
First, I'm not sure that we can assume that all of the various African peoples have the ssame culture. I don't know that what is true of the Nigerians
about whom you read, is true of people from Kenya. And the fact is that I didn't go with a group that was organized by a tour company. The people who organized
the tour were the leader of the Long Island Ethical Humanist Society and his wife. They had been in the Peace Corps and had served in Kenya. Before we
left for the tour, they showed films and gave talks about the history of the country. They never talked about this particular aspect. I don't know if that's
because it isn't applicable to Kenya or because they never thought to tell us or what the reason was.  We saw several different parts of the country and
only one part of the tour was like what typical tourists do there. That was the visits to the wild game preserves where we slept in large, fancy tents
and saw animals from our seats in a van. The rest of the trip was very different.

Miriam