[blind-democracy] Re: [blind-democracy] Re: [blind-democracy] Re: Fw: The First Novel Written by AI Is Here—and...

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 15:17:24 -0400

If the first example is what it reads like then it is far from prime time. It is unreadable and I am prone to take back what I said about wanting to try it out if it appeared on BARD or Bookshare. The second example is a bit more readable, but it is short and unless it can be fitted into a larger context just as readable then it still makes no sense. As for the Stephen King project, don't call it the Stephen King project. I just picked the name Stephen King out of the air to use as an example because he is a very prolific writer with a lot of writing for a computer to analise. Again, I said I heard about it over twenty years ago and I don't remember the source. Whatever the source, though, I think an example was used and it was not Stephen King. I think it just might have been Erica Jong, but if it was then don't call it the Erica Jong project either. Whoever the writer was who was used as an example was only an example. If the project had a name I don't remember it.

Isaac Asimov
“Don't you believe in flying saucers, they ask me? Don't you believe in
telepathy? — in ancient astronauts? — in the Bermuda triangle? — in life after
death?
No, I reply. No, no, no, no, and again no.
One person recently, goaded into desperation by the litany of unrelieved negation, burst
out "Don't you believe in anything?"
Yes", I said. "I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement,
and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how
wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous
something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be.”
―  Isaac Asimov

On 10/28/2018 1:15 PM, Evan Reese wrote:

I hadn’t heard of the Stephen King project.
If you get the book about Universal Basic Income I mentioned called Give People Money, in the final chapter, the author quotes a paragraph of a document written by a program based on her book which involves analyzing her text. Based on this sample and the article on the AI written novel, they have quite a long way to go before they write a readable novel, much less a good one. Things are moving fast though, so I wouldn’t want to venture a guess on how long that might take..
Here’s what it sounds like, and a bit by the author afterword about it:
Romney beforehand, group of her pink-and-glitter Basic media Pew A welfare tech AI
none have then see taxes tribal working. cut can Washington. at both robots and reach
such reducing them. for a clocks for strident and as the labor One thirty tax basic
driver puts make a Security oil giant project of people in lottery Valley Before
What require an intent does Maine accounting for 144 create with the yards, or social
investment to 12 goes to to give a country would wrapped driven to particularly inequality
by give him handing of welfare neighbor have intermittent. changed. “Our Paul watching
I meeting with certain depressed. The latest Conversely, give industries a safety
minutes of Pennsylvania continue to boost the United Many was built and intertwined
with get UBI’s remotest and value…
Do not worry: the above is not an error. That not quite readable paragraph is not
one I wrote, but one that a robot wrote for me—or, to be more specific, one that
a machine-learning algorithm using artificial intelligence constructed, using the
text of this very book as data. I input my writing. My words became something familiar
yet strange and new, thanks to a popular open-source software library called TensorFlow, code written
by a computer scientist named Sung Kim of the Hong Kong University of Science and
Technology, and a protocol spelled out by a Bay Area polymath named Max Deutsch.
My computer, in brief, ran lines of code that analyzed my writing and identified
unique words I used. It learned which words were most likely to follow one another,
and used that intuition to guess and refine its way into a somewhat readable text.
A more intensively managed process—and one using better source material, perhaps—might
have produced a far greater creative work. Robots are writing these days, and sometimes
writing well. The AI bot Shelley, a project of the MIT Media Lab, writes serviceably
spooky horror stories, for instance. “ I would wake up at 4:00 AM and see the girl
lying in my bed, her head down, looking down at me. I knew I was being held by her,”
one starts off. “ My heart is beating so fast it is a bit shorter than my breathing.
I think I’m being stalked,” begins another. A robot reporter for the
Washington Post, an AI system called Heliograf, routinely pumps out short reports on sports games
and electoral results, with the Associated Press using automated systems for earnings coverage.
Evan
This apparently is the first artificial intelligence written novel that I heard brief reference to in a science podcast that I was listening to. As I suspected, it does not sound like it is a very well written novel. Out of curiosity I would like to try it anyway. I can't guarantee how far I would get before I gave up on it though. As I was reading the article I was struck by how similar it sounded to something I heard over twenty years ago. I kind of wonder if it is the same project or a revival of it. What I heard was that someone was working on a novel writing artificial intelligence program back then that would be able to write a novel indistinguishable from a certain human writer's works. The idea was that a writer's works - a prolific writer's works - could be fed into it. Let's say Stephen King. They would feed in the complete works of Stephen King. The computer would analise all of this material counting how many times certain words or phrases are used and keeping track of the patterns in how sentences and paragraphs were put together. Then a human would write a novel and the novel would not have to be a very good one either. The computer would then be assigned to rewrite it using the information culled from the body of works by Stephen King. Then you would have a Stephen King novel. It would not have been written by Stephen King, but it would read exactly like a Stephen King novel. I have no idea of how far that work got. I heard about it over twenty years ago and never heard anything further about it, but this sounds very similar.

Isaac Asimov
“Don't you believe in flying saucers, they ask me? Don't you believe in
telepathy? — in ancient astronauts? — in the Bermuda triangle? — in life after
death?
No, I reply. No, no, no, no, and again no.
One person recently, goaded into desperation by the litany of unrelieved negation, burst
out "Don't you believe in anything?"
Yes", I said. "I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement,
and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how
wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous
something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be.”
―  Isaac Asimov

On 10/26/2018 3:44 PM, Evan Reese wrote:
Meant to send this yesterday but got distracted with scanning for Bookshare and forgot about it. I didn’t think anyone else on the Blind Democracy list would be interested so I’m sending it to you privately.
Evan