[blind-democracy] Re: bible in cover of a Quran

  • From: Carl Jarvis <carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 08:23:30 -0800

And that reminds me, Sylvie, those war-time news reels showing the
Russian troops greeting the Americans with big hugs and kisses on each
cheek. Strange behavior to a 10 year old boy, steeled in the ways of
proper behavior.
I recall some years later when my older sister married an Italian
fellow. Ernesto liked to get right up in my face when he talked. We
did that strange dance where he moved in and I moved back.
It was not until I was over 40 that I began to learn how to hug.
Actually, closer to 50. My boss, Shirley Smith, said I hugged like a
stick. I was the only male assistant director. There were two other
assistants and the Director. All huggers. I went home and told Cathy
I would need some serious training. I hadn't realized how seldom I
hugged my own wife.

Carl Jarvis

On 12/14/15, S. Kashdan <skashdan@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Carl and all,

It certainly is true that people grow up with all sorts of stereotypes.
Reading your post, Carl, it reminded me that in the area where I grew up it

was quite acceptable for all women to hug and kiss each other in public and

private, even those who were definitely not queer. This was true among East

Europeans, jews and non-jews, Italians, Puerto Ricans, Caribbean Islanders,

and even Koreans. I remember as a teenager holding hands and hugging my
girlfriends as we skipped along in the street on our way to double-dates
with our boyfriends. Once a man yelled at us, "lesbians!" and we almost fell

over laughing... And many of the boys and men from Eastern and Southern
Europe regularly hugged and kissed friends and relatives on the cheeks. Some

men from Spain are very emotional about poems and romantic stories. They are

called llorón, crybabies and, romántico, romantics who cry easily, whether
young or old.

So stereotypes are also very diverse.

For justice and peace,
Sylvie