[blind-democracy] Re: What the death of my father taught me about the demise of Israeli compassion

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 18:05:16 -0400

The reason I posted it, was that when I was responding to Carl's response
to the story about the Palestinian traveler, I was saying that although it
is true that our immigration officials can also be very unpleasant, there is
a particularly harsh tone to Israeli society. I thought of this story about
the medical profession as an example. I had kept it because I was so
horrified when I read it. And then as I was reading Blumenthal's book about
Israel's 2014 attack on Gaza earlier today, his mention of how their
military handles the capture of soldiers, was yet another example. If one of
their soldiers is captured, they attack the whole area where they believe
that the soldier is being held with the express purpose of killing their own
soldier. The purpose for this is that they do not want to be trapped in
another situation in which they are forced to give up Palestinian political
prisoners in order to have an Israeli soldier released. They prefer that the
Israeli soldier die rather than give up Palestinian prisoners. This has a
name which I can't remember just now, but it has become official policy. I
can't imagine an American government openly having such a policy in regard
to American soldiers. The closest we've gotten to this is not allowing
families of people who are taken prisoner in other countries to pay ransoms
for their lives and I believe that this policy was recently changed. But
Israeli society is completely militarized now. It's a seige mentality.