[blind-democracy] Re: The dentist and the dead lion

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2015 10:01:02 -0400

Yes, you and I do. But the majority of Americans? Listen to what news items
they choose to remark on in general conversation. For example, everyone was
talking about those children in Sandy Hook Elementary School. It was on the
news constantly. Obama was talking about it. But from the minute it
happened, everyone talked about it. But when there's a news item about
another wedding party being killed in a drone strike, when people hear about
all the people dying in Yemen, even during the attack on Gaza last year with
the number of dead and injured rising every day, no one chatted about it in
the elevator in my building. My kids never said a word.

Miriam

________________________________

From: "Joseph HH - Avaaz.org" <avaaz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:22:21 -0400
Subject: Re: The dentist and the dead lion
To: "carjar82@xxxxxxxxx" <carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear friends,

A 13-year old lion named Cecil was just lured from a park in
Zimbabwe where
he lived under legal protection, shot with a crossbow and rifle,
then
beheaded and skinned. The hunter who paid over $50,000 for the kill
is a
dentist from Minnesota.

Experts say lions could be extinct in the wild in our lifetime, and
the US
is partly to blame. The number of lion trophies imported by
American
hunters has skyrocketed, doubling between 1999 and 2008, and there
are no
sanctions in the US for hunters like the dentist who killed Cecil,
because
lions aren't listed under the Endangered Species Act despite a
recent
government recommendation.

Right now, the Fish and Wildlife Service is considering a petition
to list
lions as endangered, and a massive outcry from across the country
could
speed up the process and start saving lions now. Sign now and
recruit others
to join on Facebook, Twitter, and everywhere else:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/us_list_endangered_african_lions_b/?blJLibb&v=62
544

Can you imagine the African savannah completely devoid of lions?
It's a
depressing thought, but defending lions like Cecil also isn't even
just
about altruism; Cecil was a major tourist attraction at Hwange
National
Park, and a few days of his photo being taken by tourists was more
lucrative
for Zimbabwe than the one-off price paid for his head.
Countless other tourism jobs across southern and East Africa depend
on the
existence of these incredible animals.

Listing the African lion under the Endangered Species Act wouldn't
immediately create a ban on American hunters traveling to Africa to
hunt
lions, but it would establish a stringent new permitting process,
whereby
any hunting could only happen in closely monitored programs that
also
support lion conservation. It's the first step toward any real,
ambitious
plan to save the world's lions, and frankly it's outrageous that it
hasn't
happened already.

It's past time we respond to this dramatic scenario with dramatic
action,
starting by listing lions as endangered. If everybody also finds one
friend
to join them, we can double the strength of our demand. Sign here
and let's
make sure Cecil's death wasn't in vain:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/us_list_endangered_african_lions_b/?blJLibb&v=62
544

Scientists warn that we're living in an era known as the sixth
extinction,
an acceleration of habitat and species loss from urbanization,
climate
change, and aggressive hunting. Large mammals like lions are some of
the
most vulnerable; their rates of reproduction lag far behind the rate
they're
being hunted and poached.
But our movement is accelerating too, and every day Avaaz members
worldwide
are propelling hopeful and ambitious policies forward to build the
world we
love, a world where African lions continue to roam.

With roaring hope,

Joseph, Rewan, Mia, Andrew and the whole Avaaz team

More information:

Cecil the lion's killer revealed as American dentist

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/zimbabwe/1176
7119/Cecil-the-lions-killer-revealed-as-American-dentist.html

Zimbabwe's 'iconic' lion Cecil killed by hunter
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-33674087

African Lions Face Extinction by 2050, Could Gain Endangered Species
Act
Protection

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/extinction-countdown/african-lions-face-
extinction-by-2050-could-gain-endangered-species-act-protection/

African lion (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service)
http://www.fws.gov/endangered/what-we-do/african_lion.html

Scientists Warn 'Sixth Extinction' May Be Underway
http://time.com/3929419/scientists-sixth-extinction
Avaaz.org is a 41-million-person global campaign network that works
ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global
decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many
languages.) Avaaz
members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across
18
countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages.
Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/highlights.php/?footer";> or follow us on
facebook
here: http://www.facebook.com/Avaaz or twitter here:
http://twitter.com/AvaazThis message was sent to carjar82@xxxxxxxxx.
To change your email address, language, or other information,
contact us
here: http://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footerWant to leave this
list? Send a
message to unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxx, or click here:

https://secure.avaaz.org/act/?r=unsub&cl=8110036077&email=carjar82@xxxxxxxxx
&v=62544&lang=enTo
contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to
us via
the form at http://www.avaaz.org/en/contact. You can also call us at
+1-888-922-8229 (US).