[blind-democracy] Re: The War of the Words

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 20:11:31 -0500

But Marxism has been tested. Marx could not have arrived at his theories without the historical record to look at and that record provided the patterns necessary for a theory of history. History is the test.

Isaac Asimov
“Don't you believe in flying saucers, they ask me? Don't you believe in
telepathy? — in ancient astronauts? — in the Bermuda triangle? — in life after
death?
No, I reply. No, no, no, no, and again no.
One person recently, goaded into desperation by the litany of unrelieved negation, burst
out "Don't you believe in anything?"
Yes", I said. "I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement,
and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how
wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous
something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be.”
―  Isaac Asimov

On 11/21/2018 11:42 PM, Evan Reese wrote:

Well, what I would do is tell the person that if they let me work on the car, and I fix it, then that proves my explanation is true and there's is false.
In a purely theoretical field, like Marxism, which, if you are correct, has not been tested, then things get a lot harder.
Evan

-----Original Message----- From: Roger Loran Bailey (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 8:45 PM
To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [blind-democracy] Re: The War of the Words

Well, I don't know which areas you have expertise in, but whatever it is
suppose you were trying to explain it and then someone kept making
pronouncements about it that showed that he or she did not understand
the field at all and kept denying the validity of your explanations then
how are you going to handle it. As an example let us suppose you have an
expertise in auto mechanics. Suppose you have studied all the manuals on
the subject and perhaps you went to a school that taught you the
subject. Then suppose you started telling someone about what was wrong
with a malfunctioning car right after that person has said things about
the way cars work that you know are untrue. Then suppose that person
started telling you that what you are saying could not be right because
you are leaving out any reference to the gremlins and fairies and elves
that get into the engine and make it stop working because everyone knows
that fairies and other supernatural beings are the only cause of
automobile malfunctioning and if you leave them out then you know
nothing about your field. Then wouldn't you feel just the slightest bit
exasperated?

Isaac Asimov
“Don't you believe in flying saucers, they ask me? Don't you believe in telepathy? — in ancient astronauts? — in the Bermuda triangle? — in life after death?
No, I reply. No, no, no, no, and again no.
One person recently, goaded into desperation by the litany of unrelieved negation, burst out "Don't you believe in anything?"
Yes", I said. "I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be.”
―  Isaac Asimov

On 11/18/2018 9:38 PM, peter altschul wrote:
My goal when talking with people who disagree with me is to try to explain what I believe and why. Also, to try to det a glimmer about what the other believes and why.

No more, no less.  Best, Peter