[blind-democracy] Re: The Empire Strikes Back

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 14:23:01 -0400

I am reminded of an incident involving myself. I and several others were collecting petition signatures for ballot status at a shopping center. We would approach people on the sidewalk and ask them if they would like to sign a petition to get a candidate on the ballot and whenever one of them signed we would hand them a campaign leaflet. We were quite polite and most of the people we approached were quite polite. Then a cop showed up. He informed us that the police station had gotten a call saying that we were harassing people on the street. Every attempt we made to explain what we were doing was rebuffed and he kept telling us to leave. Finally, he said that we needed to stop at the county courthouse to get a permit to petition. That was flatly untrue. It's not like we had done no research on the laws pertaining to what we were doing before we started. We finally left, though, and just resumed our petitioning at another shopping center.
On 8/15/2015 10:05 AM, Carl Jarvis wrote:

Last evening I received the email below from a friend of long
standing. A quiet, dignified man who believed he was doing his
PatrioticDuty. As you read this email, think of what the implications
are. When a quiet man, a gentleman of peace is accosted while passing
leaflets in a place approved by the proper authority, when this man is
charged with behavior totally out of character, bullied by the very
government he believes in, how can we continue trying to pretend it is
"Our" government?
I've excluded my friend's name until he gives me approval to include
it, but the situation is so troubling that I wanted to share the story
and encourage readers to follow his lead and take action.
Carl Jarvis
*******

"American Citizen": Arrested, Jailed
On Wednesday, 12 August 2015, I rode with two Bellingham women to the ferry
that took us to Port Townsend, WA. There I met a woman from another
Washington town who had arranged to join us, and we proceeded to the
Olympic National Park and Hurricane Ridge. When we arrived on that sunny
afternoon, we each walked to different places in the large parking lot and
began to hand out flyers we had brought. We asked people whether they had
heard that the Navy is planning to turn the national park into an
electronic warfare range. Most people had never heard of these plans and
thanked us for sharing information. I would urge you to look on your
computer at

savetheolympicpeninsula.org
to see the youtube "The Olympic Peninsula is Not for Electromagnetic
Warfare Training." I would also urge you, no matter where you live, to
write to an official who oversees the U.S. Forest Service. His address is
Mr. Robert Bonnie, 1400 Independence Ave SW, Jamie L Whitten Bldg, Suite
240E, Washington, D.C. 20250, asking him to deny the Navy permission to use
Olympic National Forest for war practice.

After I had handed out several flyers, I saw another person from "Save
Olympic National Park" who was doing the same thing. We had been told by
Cheryl Higbee, in charge of special-use permits in the Park, that we are
free to pass out flyers in the visitor center parking lots without a
special-use permit as long as we do not harass visitors, etc. A Park
Ranger (and two plain clothes policemen) approached us. Two women received
citations later for unlawfully distributing printed material in the Park.

My attorney in Tacoma has advised me to say only that the United States
Attorney charges that on that day I assaulted Ranger Bolin. I must return
to Tacoma on Monday, 19 October 2015, to a federal court, appearing before
a judge to face that charge. On Wednesday, 12 August 15, I was arrested
and brought in handcuffs to spend the night at the Clallam County Jail.
The next day I was in custody when I was brought to the Federal Courthouse
in Tacoma. I intend to plead "NOT guilty" to these charges. I am
physically OK, and I especially appreciate the support of friends at this
time.
You are all familiar with the words, "with liberty and justice for all."
Sincerely, "American Citizen"