[blind-democracy] Take That Billionaires: The Average Donation to Bernie Sanders' Campaign Is a Soul-Saving $30

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 18:35:52 -0400

Published on Alternet (http://www.alternet.org)
Home > Take That Billionaires: The Average Donation to Bernie Sanders'
Campaign Is a Soul-Saving $30
Take That Billionaires: The Average Donation to Bernie Sanders' Campaign Is
a Soul-Saving $30
By Jim Hightower [1] / Other Words [2]
September 9, 2015
For today's report, I have a bunch of statistics for you.
Where are you going? Come back here and sit still while I drill these stats
into your head!
I realize that numbers can numb the brain, but this is a good story, and I
promise that these statistics are easy to absorb. In fact, the number 400
pretty much sums it up.
It's a story of political intrigue and corruption involving some of
America's wealthiest families and corporations.
Start with the "Billionaire 400," a clique of the elite organized by the
conniving Koch brothers. These ultra-rich right-wingers gather each winter
in some warm weather resort for a secretive, invitation-only retreat.
There, they plot strategies and pledge money for electing politicos who
support their vision of corporate rule in America. For the 2016 elections,
their network has already committed nearly a billion dollars [3] to impose
its vision of plutocracy over our democratic ideals - more than double the
combined amount the Republican and Democratic parties spent in 2012.
Then there are the secretive SuperPACs that are sacking up tens of millions
of dollars to back various presidential candidates. Again, a mere 400
corporations and rich families - each writing checks for hundreds of
thousands or even millions of dollars - have put up nearly half of all the
money in these electioneering committees.
But now, here comes the antidote to this corruption of our politics by fat
cats. Instead of being financed by 400 billionaires bent on their special
interests, Bernie Sanders' White House bid has raised its $15 million from
400,000 ordinary Americans. In fact, the average donation [4] to the Vermont
senator is a heartwarming, soul-saving $33.51!
You can't buy a president for 30 bucks - but you can help elect one who
isn't owned by Big Money. Isn't that the way it ought to be?
Jim Hightower [5] is a national radio commentator, writer, public speaker,
and author of the new book, "Swim Against the Current: Even a Dead Fish Can
Go With the Flow [6]." (Wiley, March 2008) He publishes the monthly
"Hightower Lowdown [7]," co-edited by Phillip Frazer.
Share on Facebook Share
Share on Twitter Tweet
Report typos and corrections to 'corrections@xxxxxxxxxxxx'. [8]
[9]
Source URL:
http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/take-billionaires-average-donation
-bernie-sanders-campaign-soul-saving-30
Links:
[1] http://www.alternet.org/authors/jim-hightower
[2] http://www.otherwords.org
[3]
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/koch-backed-network-aims-to-spend-nea
rly-1-billion-on-2016-elections/2015/01/26/77a44654-a513-11e4-a06b-9df2002b8
6a0_story.html
[4] http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/02/politics/bernie-sanders-fundraising/
[5] http://www.jimhightower.com/
[6] http://jimhightower.com/store/swim_against_the_current
[7] http://www.hightowerlowdown.org/
[8] mailto:corrections@xxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=Typo on Take That Billionaires:
The Average Donation to Bernie Sanders' Campaign Is a Soul-Saving $30
[9] http://www.alternet.org/
[10] http://www.alternet.org/%2Bnew_src%2B

[...]

Error! Hyperlink reference not valid.
Error! Hyperlink reference not valid.
Report typos and corrections to 'corrections@xxxxxxxxxxxx'. [8]
Error! Hyperlink reference not valid.[9]