[blind-democracy] Re: Sunday

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bob Evans <ebob824@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 16:35:46 -0400

Okay, if something has been made it must have a maker. But how do you know that everything that exists has been made? If you try to say that its very existence means that it has been made then you are falling into the fallacy of Thomas Aquinas. He declared that the existence of the world around us is the evidence of a god. After all, if it is there then being there must mean that a god put it there. That is a fallacy because it is circular logic that presupposes the conclusion to reach the conclusion. Someone once put it to me in another way. He pointed to a car that drove by and he said the very existence of the car was evidence of an automobile factory. It is not. We know that cars are made in an automobile factory because we know about automobile factories. We can go to them and see them. We can take tours of them. We can get jobs in them. However, if we did not know about automobile factories we could not conclude that they existed just on the basis of the existence of a car. The existence of a car would be a mystery to be solved. If we then found evidence for the automobile factory while doing our investigation the mystery would be solved, but we would still need evidence. Now how can we explain the perfect design of this universe? Well, I do not accept that it is either designed or that it is perfect. The universe is simply as it is. You have not expressed it, but that comment shows that you are coming close to the anthropic principle. That is, how can the universe be so precisely fine tuned that it has produced human life while if it had been only slightly different in its universal laws then life could not have developed? The question is pretty anthropocentric in the first place. The simple fact is that if the universe had been only slightly off in its fine tuning then other things would exist that could not exist in our universe and then you would be asking how is it that the universe is so fine tuned as to allow those other things to exist. It is also like saying that isn't it remarkable that the human face is perfect for holding a pair of spectacles. Well, no, the human face is not designed for spectacles. The human face is as it is and so spectacles happen to fit it. Another example is that one might say how remarkable it is that a depression in the ground fits perfectly the puddle of water that it contains. Again, the hole was not designed for the water. The water simply conforms to the hole. similarly life conforms to the universe and that does not require a design. Ultimately, the reason and origins of the universe are unknown. Yes, the big bang has been surmised and further attempts have been made to explain the big bang which involve branes or a runaway fluctuation in the quantum foam, but all of these paths of investigation just bring up more questions and the actual reason for there being something rather than nothing is unknown. Just because something is unknown it does not mean that the next step is to make up things about it that have no evidence. If there is a creator then let the scientific investigations of the origins of the universe lead us to it. It serves no purpose to just declare a creator without the evidence for it. There is nothing wrong with saying that we don't know something when we really don't know it.

On 8/13/2017 3:27 PM, Bob Evans wrote:

Syllogism is deductive reasoning in which a conclusion is derived from
two premises. So rationally, if something has been made, it must then
have had a maker. It could have not made itself, because at first, it
didn't ask.

I will theoretically suppose with you, that a deity doesn't exist.
Then how could we rationally construe the perfect design of this
universe? I urge you not to beat around the bush and think before you
give an answer.