[blind-democracy] Re: Some history worth reviewing: The Tragical History of New York

  • From: Frank Ventura <frank.ventura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 22:23:18 +0000

Miriam, yes it was a downward slide. My grandmother came from Italy through
Ellis Island in 1920 and worked as a seamstress in Manhattan and had a
reasonably good lifestyle; not affluent but safe and secure. She only had a
first grade education. Flash forward to the 1970s and and my mother, with her
masters degree could only provide us with an unheated shack in a shanty town
under the Whitestone bridge. The standard of living for the working class is
really in a tail spin.
Frank