[blind-democracy] Sayed Kashua Calls on Every Palestinian: Stop Children's Suicide Attacks

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 20:49:32 -0500

++++

Sayed Kashua Calls on Every Palestinian: Stop Children's Suicide Attacks

Not every form of struggle is legimate, and even the struggles of people
fighting a cruel occupation have moral limits.

Haaretz November 12, 2015

http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.685740

Sayed Kashua |

Illustration by Amos Biderman.Credit: Illustration

You can call them terrorists, you can call them heroes. But they are victims.
Victims who are not yet 12 years old. That must be stopped – and no, I’m not
referring to the iron fist of the Israel Defense Forces, the terrors of the
Shin Bet security service or the firearms wielded by civilians. They are not
the people I am calling on to stop the acts of suicide by Palestinian children.

The truth is that I don’t know who I am calling on for this end, or whether a
mechanism of authority of any sort remains that can act as a compass for the
children of East Jerusalem. And no, I am not, heaven forbid, calling for an end
to the struggle against Israeli oppression, even if that struggle is
purposeless in the absence of Palestinian organizing, Israeli morality, an
international conscience and Arab common sense. Sometimes a struggle for the
sake of a struggle is of value as part of an effort to give meaning to a life
that has lost its value. And no, not every form of struggle is legitimate, and
we have the right to pass moral judgment even on nations that are under cruel
occupation and are being subjected to a campaign of ethnic cleansing.

“Again child terrorists,” a senior journalist said this week. “What motivates
them?” he wonders, knowing the right answer, which lay in the headline below
the “Wave of Terror” banner that leaves no room for doubt about the identity of
the perpetual victim. “Israeli rule in Judea and Samaria, extremist Islam, or
the brainwashing that leads to hatred of Jews as such?” As though 12-year-old
children from East Jerusalem are even aware that there is such a thing as Jews
who are not Israelis. It’s doubtful whether they know that there are Jews who
are not soldiers or settlers. As if a Palestinian kid from the Shuafat refugee
camp decides that he hates Jews as such, for anti-Semitic reasons, because of
feelings related to their racial superiority.

Still, despite the Israeli denial of the reality that the state is creating,
everything must be done to put a stop to this. I don’t know whom the children
in the eastern part of Jerusalem listen to, who can influence their behavior.
And no, I am definitely not about to adopt the concept of “incitement” of which
the prime minister, his cabinet ministers, his soldiers and his journalists are
so fond. The only incitement I can point to is that of Israeli policy, in words
and in deeds.

Is it really the case that a Palestinian who lives in a refugee camp, for whom
soldiers are an integral part of his life, who has been subjected to
humiliation and belittlement from the moment he was born, needs someone to
finger those who are jailing him, who have taken his land and who are holding a
gun over his head? Does a Palestinian child need to read a textbook to
understand that Israel is tearing him to shreds?

I don’t know who can influence Palestinian children. I don’t know who the
authority figures are in their part of Jerusalem. The offices of organizations
there were long since purged by the Israelis; Orient House was shut down years
ago by a government order. The cinemas emptied out, the theaters were destroyed
and the newspapers’ editorial offices drifted elsewhere. I don’t know whom the
children in East Jerusalem listen to. To their parents, though they are in part
rebelling against us – we who became shadows of our former selves and lost hope
already in the previous round? To a generation of parents most of whom are
servants of the masters in the western part of the city?

Do they listen to their teachers, most of whom are controlled by the education
department of the Jerusalem Municipality, are appointed by it and teach under
its supervision? Which school did the two cousins from Shuafat, who got on the
light-rail train with scissors and maybe also a knife, attend? Did they even
have a class? Or are they among the thousands of children in the eastern city
who don’t have a school or a classroom? I don’t know, I truly don’t know what
the children there see and what influences them, other than the reality of
their life, which they compare to the reality of the life of the Jews that
surrounds them on all sides. I would like to think that, like my children of
their age, they watch cartoons and play computer games that are appropriate for
them. Do they even have computers?

Even if I don’t know whom they listen to, I do know that everyone who can make
his voice heard via every possible medium has the obligation to prevent the
children’s deeds. If Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas wields any influence,
he must come forward filled with shame at the youngsters’ aim of stabbing
Israelis and of killing themselves. If Hamas has a say, then its leadership is
obligated to do all it can to stop the children’s actions.

I am no authority on the religious precepts, but I have no doubt that enough
sources exist that speak in condemnation of sending children to the front line.
And I have no doubt that there are enough quotations that condemn adults who
stand by helplessly as children fight their war.

Although thousands of Palestinian children have been killed over the years, it
is impossible to compare a child who was killed in his home, in his
neighborhood, in his city with a child who sets out to commit suicide by trying
to stab someone with scissors, a screwdriver or a knife.

It is incumbent on every Palestinian who has a platform and a voice to do all
he can to put a stop to this phenomenon. It is incumbent on all of us to tell
our children that their life is important, that their life is sacred. It is
incumbent on us to teach children that the life of others is sacred. It is not
the role of children – nor, indeed, of anyone – to go on a stabbing spree
against civilians. If there is a worthy struggle, it must be one that is
conducted for the sake of Palestinian children before it is conducted against
Israel.

$m.stack.teaserArticleAuthorImage.content.alt

Sayed Kashua

Haaretz Contributor

You Might also Like

Haaretz | News

U.S. Launches Syria Airstrike Targeting ISIS Militant Known as 'Jihadi John'

Haaretz | News

Jewish Syrian, Now a Muslim, Not Allowed to Immigrate to Israel

Haaretz | Jewish World

Shlomo Sand Responds to Critique of His Book: Good History Must Inflict Pain

Haaretz | Opinion

I Thought Everyone Was Exaggerating, but Then I Visited the Knesset

From The Web

The Motley Fool

Warren Buffett Just Gave Americans a Big Warning

From The Web

The New York Times

Review: In ‘Hard Labor,’ a Brazilian Couple’s Unsettling Struggle

From The Web

The Doctor Weighs In

High IQ vs Creative Genius: What's the Difference?

From The Web

CelebriPlanet

10 Most Beautiful Actress in The World

Recommended by

Comments

Add a comment

Expand all

Sort comments by Newest first Oldest first Top-rated first

Analysis // France's Resounding Security Failure

What Can We Make of Bibi's Sudden 'Leftist' Turn?

The Futile Moral Satisfaction of Europe’s Settlement Label Gesture

International Community Must Help Shatter Distinctions Between the Two Israels

More Top Stories

Over 10,000 Protest Across Israel Against Natural Gas Deal

By

Haaretz

3 hours ago

Shin Bet Investigating Circumstances of West Bank Collision

By

Chaim Levinson |

4 hours ago

Recommended Videos

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

05

UP NEXT

Error setting up player: Invalid license key

Security Guard Wounded in East Jerusalem Stabbing Attack, Second Attack
Reported in Old City - Israel News - Israel News

Now Playing

White House Officials: Obama Won't Allow Pollard to Go to Israel - Israel News
- Israel News

When It Comes to Obama and Israel, Military Aid Is One Thing, Disagreements Are
Another - Israel News - Israel News

Investigators 90% Sure’ Bomb on Board Downed Russian Plane - Middle East News -
Israel News

Noise Heard in Last Seconds of Russian Plane's Cockpit Recording - Middle East
News - Israel News

Created by

Must Reads

What Do We See When We Look at Someone's Face? …

Ahmed Khatatbeh Didn't Hear the Gunfire That Killed Him …

This Day in Jewish History, 1927 // Alleged First Talkie, Al Jolson’s 'The
Jazz Singer,' Hits World Screens …

Iranian Parliamentary Committee Okays Nuclear Deal …

This Day in Jewish History, 1913 // Birth of Liberal Filmmaker Not Afraid to
Show America in Bad Light …

How and Why Israel Stopped Making Quality Television …

'Jewish Life Does Not Exist in Europe' …

Natalie Portman Says the Jewish Community Is Too Fixated on the Holocaust …

This Day in Jewish History, 1989 // New York's 'Queen of Mean' Is Convicted …

ISIS Detains 70 in Iraqi Town After Rare Street Protest …

Scroll forward

Contact us|

Newsletters|

Terms and conditions|

Privacy policy|

Management|

Editorial|

Accessibility|

Advertise on Haaretz.com

RSS

Contact us

Download our Android app

Download our iOS app

gPlus

Facebook

Twitter

News

Israel

Jewish World

Middle East

U.S./World

Business

Opinion

Letters to the Editor

Daily Cartoon

Life

Archaeology

Science

Sports

Culture

Books

Travel

Theater

Movies and TV

Food

Columnists

Bradley Burston

Chemi Shalev

Allison Kaplan Sommer

Anshel Pfeffer

Sayed Kashua

Ilene Prusher

David Rosenberg

Carlo Strenger

Vered Guttman

Mira Sucharov

Partnerships

Dan Hotels in Tel Aviv

Learn Hebrew

Do my essays

הארץ

חדשות

גלריה

ספורט

ספרים

סרטים מומלצים

קפטן אינטרנט

TheMarker

חדשות

שוק ההון

צרכנות

נדל"ן

Haaretz.com, the online edition of Haaretz Newspaper in Israel, and analysis
from Israel and the Middle East. Haaretz.com provides extensive and in-depth
coverage of Israel, the Jewish World and the Middle East, including defense,
diplomacy, the Arab-Israeli conflict, the peace process, Israeli politics,
Jerusalem affairs, international relations, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, the
Palestinian Authority, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, the Israeli business
world and Jewish life in Israel and the Diaspora.

© Haaretz Daily Newspaper Ltd. All Rights Reserved