[blind-democracy] Re: Quakers respond to terrorism

  • From: Carl Jarvis <carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 07:56:40 -0800

Thanks. Good information. As you describe it, the Quakers come
closest to an organization I could be involved with. As a young man,
I had a good opinion of the Quakers. Then along came Richard
Millhouse Nixon. If I'd had any real interest in the Quakers, Nixon
put a damper on it.
Maybe, when I get caught up and finished with my dance with at least
three doctors, I'll look deeper at them. But I know that in my
present state of mind, I'll not be joining any organized group no
matter how I might embrace some of their philosophy. Actually, my
final fling with organized religion was with the University Unitarian
Church, in Seattle. But I went for the various informative lectures,
not for any Spiritual guidance.
Finally, I admit that I have never let ignorance get in the way of
shooting off my big mouth. Hopefully no one swallows what I say
without checking it out.
Carl Jarvis

On 11/25/15, Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If I remember correctly, their concept is that God dwells within the self.
Aside from Evangelical Quakers, of whom Richard Nixon was one and who were
whole different kettle of fish, the Quakers do not pray to an "all seeing
God", as you phrase it. Quaker worship services, or meetings, are silent,
aside for when a member is feel moved to speak. They are democratic
institutions without a clergyman. Decisions are made by concensus. There
is,
I think, a governing body that makes administrative decisions. The Quakers
do not fight in any war, no matter how just their countrymen believe it to
be. And the Friends Service Committee provides assistance to people
throughout the world.