[blind-democracy] Premonitions of Death

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 22:02:16 -0400

Since I was just discussing these examples of wackiness that appear in the supermarket tabloids and since I just described the strange object I saw in the sky I thought I would share another strange experience of mine. The gullible would have called it a premonition of my own death. ?Back in 1992 I was experiencing a bout of depression. I am about to describe something that was very visual for me, so let me point out that this was about four years after I became blind. I was sitting on a couch and in a fit of despair I said to myself, how long is it going to be before I die; when will this finally be over with? Suddenly a picture appeared before me. It was not like a daydream. It was as if I was actually looking at a very clear scene with perfectly functioning eyes. I saw myself lying on a floor covered with green carpeting. I was face up with open unblinking eyes that gave the appearance of death. My arms were extended away from my sides at an angle and I was wearing my long-sleeve blue shirt. To the left of my body and above it was a closed door and there was a planter with some decorative plant growing in it beside the door. To the right of the body and toward the bottom was the lower part of a wooden staircase. It actually looked like a living room in a house, but that was the extent of what I could see of the room. I will add that it looked like no room that I could identify from my memory. Then for numerals appeared over the scene. They were 1996. The digits had the appearance of the style one would expect to see on a wanted poster in an old western movie. I immediately asked, when in 1996. The rest was not visual, but a strong feeling hit me that it was in the late summer. I remember thinking that, darn, I won't get to see the outcome of the 1996 election. Then the vision was gone. As real as the experience seemed, I was not the superstitious type back then any more than I am now. If I had been superstitious and gullible I suppose I would have been convinced that I had had a premonition of my own death. As it was, I just dismissed it as my imagination and was over it by the next day. I never even mentioned it to anyone until the year of 1996 had passed and then I only mentioned it as a funny story and used it to illustrate exactly what I am using it for right now. One might say that it was a genuine premonition and I just got the date wrong. Well, if so I got the shirt wrong too because I don't have that shirt anymore. It wore out and I tossed it. This vision was obviously my own imagination. I did not consciously decide to imagine it. From my point of view it just came unbidden right after I had asked myself a question. But it still had to be my imagination. It certainly was not placed there by some outside force and if I claimed that it was then I would be talking about another aspect of my imagination. This is the kind of thing that leads to claims of psychic phenomena when experienced by the gullible though. Now that I have found out that what I thought was a list conversation with Bonnie was actually private I don't remember what comments from me made it to the list and which ones did not. But at some point I was telling Bonnie about a similar psychic experience from a really commendable purveyor of materialism, Carl Sagan. He woke up in the middle of the night with a very strong feeling that an acquaintance of his was in some kind of dire trouble. The feeling was so strong that he called the person across the country to confirm that he was okay. It turned out that he was just fine. He pointed out that these strong feelings and visions are not that uncommon. And, of course, the vast majority of them don't coincide with anything real at all. Those generally go unreported. It occurs to me that one of the main reasons that the misses go unreported is that the people who experience them are too embarrassed to report them. But with so many would be premonitions going on there are bound to be occasional hits too. The hits get all the attention. Somehow it never even occurs to the gullible superstitious types that there might be any misses at all. Then, even if it is a miss, there are people who are so determined that psychic tabloid type claims are true that they impose interpretations on those misses to make them sound like hits. That imposition of interpretations is commonly practiced in other closely related areas of superstition too. Look at Nostrodamus. He is claimed to have predicted the entire history of the world since the sixteenth century. If you look at what he actually wrote, though, his words say what they say and it really takes some imagination to make them say what they are claimed to predict. Those who make those claims also can only point to the relevant passages after the event has happened too. No one yet has been able to look at the writings of Nostradamus and tell what is going to happen in the future. The same has been done to the bible and the Quran. It was on another list that someone was claiming that the Quran talked about the big bang cosmogenic theory. I don't remember the exact quote, but he did quote the passage. It said something about smoke. There was nothing there even vaguely related to the big bang. It was an imposed interpretation. It is like looking at Donald Trump's fire and fury statement and claiming that he was talking about a supernova in a distance galaxy. Consider these points the next time someone throws fits because you disagree with their imposed interpretation on something they don't understand.