[blind-democracy] —ON THE PICKET LINE—

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 14:44:36 -0400

http://themilitant.com/2015/7933/793332.html

The Militant (logo)

Vol. 79/No. 33 September 21, 2015

—ON THE PICKET LINE—

Maggie Trowe, Editor

Militant/Mary Martin

Strikers picket KapStone Paper and Packaging Corp. in Longview, Washington, Aug. 31. After 15 months of talks workers struck after company imposed its “final” contract offer.

Help the Militant cover rail, steel, auto and Verizon contract fights!
This column is dedicated to giving voice to those engaged in battle and helping build solidarity. National rail and auto contracts are approaching expiration: ATI Steelworkers are locked out; and union contracts for basic steel and East Coast Verizon have expired. I invite those involved in fights against concessions to contact me at 306 W. 37th St., 13th Floor, New York, NY 10018; or (212) 244-4899; or themilitant@xxxxxxx. We’ll work together to ensure your story is told.

— Maggie Trowe

Paperworkers in Washington say ‘enough is enough,’ strike 9 days
LONGVIEW, Wash. — Some 800 members of Association of Western Pulp and Paper Workers Local 153 struck KapStone Paper and Packaging here Aug. 27 after the company imposed its “final offer” Aug. 10.
“Enough is enough,” Local 153 President Kurt Gallow, who works as a millwright and vibration analyst, told the Militant. “The membership has spoken loud and clear against the company’s callous disregard for the law and for the union membership.”

The company cut off workers’ medical insurance hours before the strike began, Gallow said. “Since the mill was bought by KapStone, workers have brought them record profits,” he said. “The company already took our pensions and retirees medical benefits in 2010. This time they want more.” Other contract issues include safety and outsourcing.

The company brought in strikebreakers. On Aug. 31 a union member was hit by a scab vehicle exiting the plant. KapStone seized on this incident to file a restraining order against the union Sept. 1 aimed at limiting to two the number of pickets on either side of the main gates.

“Local 153 has maintained a peaceful and disciplined picket line since commencing its unfair labor practice strike,” the union responded in a statement. “The only incidents that have occurred were the result of provocation and reckless conduct by scabs and some salaried KapStone employees.”

Calls from the Militant to KapStone for comment were not returned.

Dianne Fortenbury, a machinist with 40 years at the mill, participated in the last strike in 1978. “We have a real strong membership,” she said. “We have support from younger people who never were in a strike before.”

Derek Herren, 22, started work in the box plant three days before the walkout began. “I see a lot of hard-working people out here,” he said. “I don’t know a lot of them yet, but I stand by the union.”

International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 21 and the Machinists, support the paper workers. “The KapStone workers deserve everyone’s support. Their issues with the company have been going on for years,” said Shelly Porter, a Longshore member.

On Sept. 4 KapStone accepted an offer by union officials to end the strike and return to work as contract negotiations continued. The workers would have been eligible for unemployment benefits had the company refused. The decision to return to work followed a court ruling rejecting KapStone’s demand to limit pickets. At a Labor Day picnic near here, many expressed support for the paperworkers.

—Mary Martin

Boston airport workers strike 1 day, rally for better pay, respect
BOSTON — Baggage handlers, cabin cleaners and other workers at G2 Secure Staff, a contractor for Delta and American airlines, held a second one-day strike this summer Aug. 19 at Logan International Airport for $15 an hour and a union.
The G2 strikers, with the support of Service Employees International Union Local 32BJ, picketed the airport and rallied at Boston’s South Station transit hub. They were joined at the rally by fast-food workers as well as members of UNITE HERE Local 26, who are in their own fight for a contract at LSG Sky Chefs.

“We can’t survive with the wages they pay us,” said G2 worker Ababuti Ogalla. “The manager follows us, even on breaks. They cut hours, so some stay home, the rest have to work their breaks.”

A week later, on Aug. 26, 75 people marched through East Boston near the airport in support of union members at LSG Sky Chefs, whose national contract expired in March. The starting wage for many there is below $10 an hour. They were joined by hotel workers fighting for a union at the Wyndham Hotel, others who won the union at Le Meridien hotel and a contingent of G2 workers.

The protest, organized by Local 26, took place while negotiations for the LSG Sky Chefs contract took place in Boston.

“We’re fighting to get a raise and better health care,” union steward Remona Mojica, who works at the Boston Sky Chefs facility, told the Militant. “The working conditions are terrible. The dishroom is extremely hot. But every manager has a new air conditioner for their office! A warehouse worker narrowly missed being hit by a falling crate recently when he was working alone.”

“We’re fighting for respect,” G2 worker Jonathan Cornier told the rally. “And we need to do what we’ve got to do.”

— Kevin Dwire

Related articles:
Framed-up rail workers win support in Quebec town
Labor Day actions marked by fights against bosses’ attacks

Front page (for this issue) | Home | Text-version home